2. The C's

Rovena stepped inside the ugly hut and into her shoe box room where she slept on a stack of dirty blankets at one corner and at another corner sat a stack of her worn out clothes. The walls were bare with not even a hint of paint or color. The room didn't give off any vibes about whoever lived there.

She removed 'kadara', the combat twin dagger onto her nightstand, then her brown leather corset, armor belt and her metallic vambrace. She then removed her boots. Cold floor greeted her cracked soles.

Stepping into the tiny bathroom, she stopped when she saw her naked reflection at a corner mirror. Her once beautiful body was filled with scars. Scars from blades, from burns, from nails. All she had was a body that was tanned and toned to the prime covered with scars and a fucking useless broken heart that she was sure didn't work anymore. Gritting her teeth, she fought against the wave of memories. The memories that never failed to haunt her every night. Lightly, she touched a long puckered pink scar that traveled from her navel to just below the dip of her left breast. Up, her fingers trailed to a red calla tattooed above her heart only that it was a birthmark. Her eyes snapped to her face, there was nothing supple like the princess she once was. Her palm pressing her face had calluses from welding the sword, her mud smeared cheeks were hollow accentuating her cheekbone, there were scars on her jawbone, her lips were cracked and red and so was her hair, feiry red.

But her eyes, they had more red flecks in her golden iris than she once had. So she feared one day when she wakes up, her eyes would be red like a bloodsucker.

She didn't give a thought about her beat body but she was insecure, not because of the scars but because of the memories that came with it. She chewed on her lips fiddling with a small locket around her neck that was always there since she could remember.

“Are you sleeping in the shower Scrawny? Do you need me to drag you out?”

Mawas voice snapped her right back to the reality.

“Oh my savior! And I thought you were my childhood ghost who pulls legs from under the bed, witch.” She shouted back. Satisfied to hear Mawa grumbling, she took a quick shower and stepped out.

Rovena gasped seeing Mawa standing right outside her door, her wrinkly hands wearing violet beaded bracelet crossed across her chest, old blue eyes covered with grey clouds glaring at her.

“What happened witch? Lost all your teeth?” Walking into her bedroom, she picked up black top and faded blue jeans. Fresh stuff from other islands of earth, Mawa had said.

“We need to talk.”

She stepped into the jeans. “So talk.”

“I’ve spotted dark fae magic. Strong one.”

Surprised, she froze with her shirt halfway down her head. Swiftly pulling it down, she asked, “Where?” Sidestepping Mawa, Rovena fastened her dagger to her boots preparing to fly.

“Rovena.”

She froze in her tracks. Mawa didn't call her by her name. Period. That gave her the jitters. Rovena turned to look at a concerned Mawa.

“What is it? Where and when was it spotted?”

She scratched her white dirty hair. “Chama. Two days ago. I feel a steady of hum of dark magic. I just wanted to make sure before I told you.”

“Chama? Alright. I need to go.”

Mawa flicked her wrist, creating an invisible barrier at the door. “You can't just barge in there, Scrawny! Chama is the dragon kingdom! The moment you step in, you are toast.”

Rovena's shoulder tensed. She knew what and where Chama was. She knew they were lizards who were egotistical megalomaniacs but she didn't give a rat’s ass. She needed blood. She craved blood. Fae blood.