The Journey of a Trainee

The fluorescent lights of YG Entertainment's practice room buzzed softly, casting a stark, clinical light over the polished wooden floors. Kendra stood in front of the mirror, her reflection staring back at her, tired yet determined. It had been a year since she had arrived in South Korea from South Africa, full of dreams and hopes. But today, she felt like those dreams were slipping away.

It was the monthly evaluation day, and Kendra had just finished her performance. She had danced and sung with all her might, but deep inside, she felt it wasn't enough. The instructors' faces were hard to read, their eyes critical and measuring. She had seen it too many times – the quiet whispers, the shaking heads. The scores were announced, and her heart sank as she saw her name near the bottom of the list.

"Not again," she whispered to herself, her voice trembling. She bit her lip, fighting back tears as the other trainees either celebrated their high scores or consoled each other over their disappointments.

Kendra tried to swallow her disappointment as she left the practice room. She needed to call her mom. Her mom always knew how to make her feel better, even from thousands of miles away.

— — — — — —

Kendra sat on a bench outside the building, her phone pressed tightly to her ear. The cool evening air did little to calm her racing heart.

"Hi, Mom," she said, her voice barely a whisper.

"Kendra, sweetheart! How are you? How was the evaluation?" Her mother's voice was warm and comforting, a stark contrast to Kendra's turmoil.

Kendra hesitated for a moment, trying to keep her composure. But as soon as she heard her mom's voice, the floodgates opened. "Mom, it was terrible. I tried so hard, but I still got a low score. I don't know if I can do this anymore. It's so hard."

"Oh, sweetheart," her mom's voice softened with empathy. "I know it's tough, but you're tougher. Remember why you started this journey. Remember your passion for music and dance. You've come so far, and I'm so proud of you. Don't let this setback define you."

Kendra sniffled, wiping away her tears. "But what if I'm not good enough? What if I'm wasting my time?"

"You are not wasting your time, Kendra. Every challenge you face makes you stronger. You have a gift, and it's worth fighting for. Just take it one day at a time. And remember, I'm always here for you."

Kendra felt a wave of comfort wash over her. Her mother's words were like a balm to her wounded spirit. "Thanks, Mom. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You'll never have to find out, my dear. I'm always just a phone call away. Now, take a deep breath and rest. Tomorrow is a new day, and you can start fresh."

— — — — — —

The next day, Kendra walked into the practice room with renewed determination. Her mother's words still echoed in her mind, giving her strength. She had to keep going, not just for herself but for everyone who believed in her.

As she stretched and warmed up, she noticed Jisoo, Jennie, Rosé, and Lisa watching her. They had always been kind and supportive, and today was no different. Jisoo approached her with a gentle smile.

"Hey, Kendra, I heard about yesterday," Jisoo said softly. "How are you feeling?"

Kendra shrugged, trying to appear nonchalant. "I'm okay. Just... frustrated."

Jennie stepped forward, her expression serious but kind. "It's okay to feel that way. We've all been there. Training is hard, and the evaluations are tough. But you're here for a reason. You have talent and potential. Don't let a low score make you forget that."