Chapter 22: White

"Mirror... tell me something..."

~~~

A thunderous blast shuddered the exterior of Beacon as the dead of night settled in, with team JNPR having been somewhat filled in with Weiss's antics, discounting the whole nepotism part, by Blake. Both girls were now sharing a bed with Nora and Pyrrha planning to sleep in for the night, with Yang having called that Weiss had shut herself under her blankets.

The layout of the team's beds was surprisingly simple, two beds joined together, boys on the right and girls on the left, with the beds being just enough, when connected, to include both Ruby and Blake alongside Pyrrha and Nora.

"Geez, that's mad crazy that Weiss still doesn't trust you after what happened..." Nora gawked at the rather summarized explanation while she held onto a plate of pancakes, a courtesy of Ren using the kitchen area in the dormitory's common room to bake a midnight meal. Ruby in the meantime merely leaned on the wall, sitting between Blake and Nora with her plate resting on her lap.

"Yeesh, talk about expectations, or that she's just salty, y'know." Jaune nervously chuckled as he was reminded how Weiss had easily thrown him like a ragdoll just a day ago. He was pretty sure he'd be dead by now had he been Weiss's leader instead of Ruby...

"Well, it is what it is I guess, 'just need tah beat up someone tomorrow ey? NOM!" Nora chuckles as she swallows a whole piece of pancake dressed with chocolate syrup.

"Nora's right Ruby, it's just one match anyway," Pyrrha assured the young girl, only to be replied with a slow disagreeing headshake from Ruby.

"It's not just one match, the students in Beacon are leagues above the students I've fought in Signal... Weiss is right about one thing: you all have at least two more years of experience. Heck- What if I get matched up against Yelena or you? I'm way outta your league!"

"Well, if you're matched with me, I can always go easy, y'know, there's more at stake for you than me losing." There was a sudden shuffle as Ruby balled up her hands that rested beside her folded legs.

"But... I wouldn't want that." She shot down the redhead's words, eyeing Pyrrha with a steel-like expression, "I need to prove not just Weiss, but also to know if I am supposed to be here... I don't know why the headmaster allowed me into Beacon, I'm not even ready for these kinds of things."

"The heck 'you mean 'not ready?' then what was Initiation? You were perfect!" Nora *almost* stood as her stack of pancakes wobbled in front of her, "Oh don't tell me you, sniping a literal Nevermore from the skies and dragging its body up a cliff, isn't exactly noteworthy?"

"I mean- it is, it's just that, those can be exceptions, I may be good at one or two things, but can I really be a huntsman just by shooting well or showing off flashy moves?" Ruby eyes the silent Blake at the side, noticing how her words affect her somewhat.

"Huh, well dang." Nora slumped back onto the bed as she took another chomp out of her tower of pancakes, her appetite insatiable. "Tuwo nwea-ptch pteir own I gwespts..."

"Nora, what did I say about talking while eating?" A sudden voice catches the girls off guard as they turn to see Ren holding another platter of pancakes, with a 'The Bakery' pink apron over his green pyjamas. This causes Nora to droop her shoulders in response as she gulped down the pancake in her mouth.

"Never to talk while eating... Like I said, to each their own I guess..." Nora shrugged as she flatteringly looked at her partner, who simply gave a nod of approval and promptly dropped another stack of 15 pancakes on her plate, causing her eyes to sparkle in delight.