Chapter 1: Alice and her mother

Chapter One

When Father said he was bringing Mother and I out to London for the summer, I never imaged it to be so dreary. It rained quite a lot, and honestly the city had a smell, Alice thought as she sat on the window seat in her room. Her father had a beautiful home and her mother loved the town, but Alice felt lonely. She sat in her seat longing for the blue country sky and the forest behind her house. Alice was under strict rule never to enter the forest, because as a child she wondered off and was lost for some time, before she was found. Her little blue dress was torn and her hair was knotted. When asked what happened to her, Alice could not recall what had happened, all she could remember was she that she saw a white rabbit and went after it. Alice was thinking about that rabbit now, she had never seen a coat so white, it reminded her of snow. Yes, Alice dearly missed her country home, but there was nothing she could do until the summer was over and the family went home for winter. The door behind Alice opened and in walked her mother, Ellen.

"Alice please get dressed we must make it to Lord Grey's house behind noon or we'll be late." Her mother said.

"Mother I do not wish to go to the party, all these garden parties is so dreadfully boring. I almost fell asleep when Lord Grey's young sister began to play the piano." Alice whined to her mother.

"Alice I know you do not like the ton but while we are here we must try to find you a suitable match," she turned away to go through Alice's closet. Alice rose from her seat and began to walk towards her mother. Alice had always admired her mother but her father was her idol. She adored both her parents but some days Alice felt truly out of place.

"Alice please put on this blue satin gown. I will get your corset and we finally get you dressed." Ellen moved away, Alice was left looking down at the gown. She loved that gown her mother knew it, that's why she chose it for her.

"Alice please stop day dreaming and turn around and undress. We must be ready to leave in an hour." Alice turned around and felt the corset begin to tighten around her waist. Alice normally didn't wear her corset but she made acceptations when it came to ton parties. Ellen finished the lacing and lifted the blue dress over Alice's head. The dress was baby blue, with a high waist line but yet snug fit, it complimented her figure nicely. The dress had a white lace belt that tide into a small bow on the back. Alice looked in the mirror and silently beamed at her appearance. Now to finish her hair and they could leave.

"Come here so I may do your hair." Ellen ordered her daughter. Alice moved towards the vanity and sat down slowly, the corset somewhat constricting her breathing.

"Mother I don't believe I will find someone to marry me. I'm too odd and the people know it." Alice said to her mother.

"Alice, you are a beautiful, intelligent young lady and will make a wonderful wife to someone. They must get past your flaws and you must try to tame that imagination you possess." Her mother's advice just rang through her ears. Alice had no desire to marry, but she knew her word meant nothing to her parents. When Ellen finished Alice's golden blond hair was pulled from her face, teased a little, and wrapped nicely into a low side ringlet. Alice was pleased and so was her mother.

"Now Alice lets go before we're late," her mother urged. Alice rose from her seat and grabbed her white lace gloves from the vanity table. Both her and her mother walked out of the front door just in time.