Chapter Forty-Five

Austria-Hungary shivered inside of the hole they'd hidden inside. They could hear footsteps nearby. It was unclear how hidden A-H actually was. They could feel the rock around them. Above, to the right, left, back, and a little bit in front. It was like a small path that went pretty far back. It didn't twist very much, which was odd. It felt intentional. They'd eventually found a dead end.

But all it took was one look down that hole. And A-H would be dead.

Blood seeped through their fingers as they gingerly touched their wound. It hurt a little. Maybe a lot.

What will... What will happen to my children when I am gone? Hungary, with more curiosity and cunning than a cat. Austria, with all the peace and naivety a country could possibly have. But they are both so young... How could they survive this treacherous land? How could they live without me? I should have taught them better.

Austria-Hungary shivered, feeling their power itch to be used. They could create something. Someone. To protect them.

No, not one. Two. Two someones. One for each.

A united Austria and Hungary would never work. AE and the Kingdom of Hungary were the strongest people I knew. They need to be separate once more. Or at least... they need to have a choice.

A-H sat up straight, leaning against the jagged wall for support as they started weaving tendrils of light together, shaping vaguely humanoid forms as best as they could.

"Protect them. Do better than I did," they said. A-H winced from the pain of their wound as it throbbed annoyingly.

All that was left to do was wait to die.

The French Empire exploded in a ball of fire. Literally. The British Empire was sent crashing into the sky, before tumbling back down to the ground. He did not land gracefully.

FE, with flaming hot eyes, eyed the enemies all around her. Enemies, enemies, enemies, she was all alone.

KILL THEM. KILL THEM ALL. KILL THE ONES WHO WRONGED YOU. The words from her diary echoed in her mind.

FE hurled a ball of fire at ROE, who did not have enough time to dodge. He hissed as burns covered his body, heating up the metal on his skin.

She was a friend to none.

As her mind grew foggy and less focused, she blasted ROE again, hurting her nearby enemies as well. Golden Horde. Denmark-Norway. Enemies.

A foe to all.

Stop.

The Second Bulgarian Empire, who'd caught up from getting trapped behind a wall of fire, attacked from behind, trying to slice through FE's body. Instead, the sword she used melted in her grip. FE turned towards her, heat radiating off of her body. SBE ran.

And they would regret what they did.

While turning back to face ROE, she caught sight of the British Empire, dusting himself off. He started this.

She would make them fall.

The French Empire, mind consumed with rage and flames, walked towards him. The grass withered below her feet. Smoke rose into the air, mixing with the clouds. Her skin didn't blister. Her eyes didn't melt. They only burned with raw power. Fueled with revenge.

The British Empire stood weakly, yet raised his sword in defiance.

She prepared to kill him.

And heard a voice. A voice that sobered her instantly. A voice that made her heart shudder with emotion and pain.

Her daughter.

"M—French Empire? What... what are you doing?" France whispered. It was barely audible over the roar and crackle of the flames, but the fire knew it by heart. It quickly whisked away, leaving FE defenceless as she stared at her daughter.

"France? Daughter? I... only saw you in... pictures. Is that really you?" FE croaked, stepping closer. France backed away warily,

"Don't come closer."

"France, please. I'm not the monster I used to be. I'll do better. I promise I'll do better," she pleaded, kneeling down. France slowly started backing into the stony rocks behind her, a look of fear crossing her face.

"This is what I came back to?" France said, ignoring her words. "A rage-driven monster destroying everything in its path? I thought you changed. I thought Canada was right, and that you should have a second chance. All you did was make an enemy of everyone. Pick a side. Even if it's your own." She spat the last words.

FE turned her head to look back at the battle, which had already started up again. Did she really want to risk losing her daughter for a man that she hated in her past life?

"If you'll allow it... I want to change. For good, no more—" she halted her words as she suddenly faced two relatives.

One she loved.

One she hated.

She spotted the blood. The gleam of metal. Her palms grew sweaty. The rage had left her. She wobbled on her knees, and collapsed at the same time as her daughter. The ghost of France rose up from the body and started to attack her. She concealed herself in a ball of flame, sobbing. Alone, all alone.

She was always alone.

And it all came back to the Kingdom of France. 

(850 Words)

Wee