Chapter 13 | Redfield

"I mean, it's obvious, right? A family heirloom. What better place to hide a message? He had to know it was gonna get back to me, right?" John B questioned, sitting in the driver's seat of the Twinkie, Kie in the passenger seat, and JJ, Pope, and Isobelle sitting in the back. 

"Yeah. It's possible" Kiara answered.

"It could also be possible that you're concocting wild theories to help, you know, deal with your sad feels," Pope added.

"Bro, you know how I process my sad feels. Dank nugs and the stickiest of Ickles, that's how I do it," JJ said, Isobelle gave him a weird look, sometimes he said the most random of things that literally made no sense.

"I'm not concocting, okay?" John B snapped. "My dad's trying to give me a message.".

"If it helps you believe, John B" Kiara began as John B cut her off.

"Look, I -- I don't need a therapy session, okay? Look, I'm not trippin' out," he denied.

"It's okay to trip, bro, but ---" JJ started.

"Look, my -- my dad is missing, okay?" John B took his focus off the road and turned around to JJ. "Missing. You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened. Just wake up every morning wondering."

"It's been almost a year," Kiara said looking at John B.

"Hey, he could have been kidnapped. That's definitely a possibility," JJ said trying to lighten the mood.

"Yeah, definitely," Isobelle said agreeing.

"Yeah, could be in a Soviet sub getting interrogated by KGB somewhere," Pope suggested.

"Absolutely. Uh ... or Atlantis," JJ continued.

"JJ. Look, what do you think the message is?" Kiara asked John B, bringing the focus back to the compass.

"Redfield. Redfield Lighthouse. That's my dad's favorite place," John B answered as they approached a tall, white, and blue lighthouse with a white picket fence and tall palm trees surrounding it. The pogues all hopped out of the van.

"Right. You're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" John B said looking at JJ.

"Wait... Why me?" JJ asked.

"Because you're not coming," Pope answered blatantly.

"Why?"

"Look JJ, there are independent and dependent variables. You're an independent variable. We don't know what you'll do." Pope tried to explain as JJ continuously told him to shut up.

"Just listen to me for a second." John B said stopping the argument. "Pope, Isobelle, you stand lookout with JJ. Okay? If we get split up, we meet back at JJ's house." 

"Great" Kiara agreed as she and John B began walking over to the lighthouse.

"I'm gonna work on my merit scholarship essay, and I'm trying to keep felonies down to a minimum." Pope continued to say as JJ began to play with a rock.

"All right, would you just shut up already?" JJ said now kicking the rock.

"Seriously, JJ," Isobelle said as she grabbed the rock he was playing with and chucked it away. "Don't be a dick. It's good that you're a committed Pope. I have no idea what my life is going to look like."

"Hey, that was my rock!?" JJ said as she threw it away into the bushes.

"I know," Isobelle said blatantly. Almost instantly JJ began searching and found another rock to play with. The three of them were passing it around, waiting boredly until suddenly police sirens were nearing in the distance.

"Oh shit," Isobelle said as the three of them immediately began running to the Twinkie. JJ ran to the driver's seat, Isobelle to the passenger, and Pope in the back. 

"Do you reckon we should have waited?" Isobelle asked looking back through the side mirrors.

"Nah, they'll be fine. Anyways, it's better than all of us getting caught." JJ answered.

"Yeah, if anything bad is on my record I may as well say goodbye to the merit scholarship," Pope said agreeing with JJ.

"JJ, can you drop me home?" Isobelle asked.

"Yeah, uh, sure," he said as he turned towards figure eight.

Soon, they neared the massive white house which Isobelle lived in, right next door to the Camerons.

"Well this is me," Isobelle said as she started to get out of the Twinkie. "Let me know if you hear anything from John B or Kie."

"Will do," JJ said smiling from the passenger seat.

"What are you guys going to do?" Isobelle asked.

"Uh, I'll be working on my essay," Pope said from the back seat.

"And I'll be helping," JJ added.

"Right," Isobelle said smiling, knowing damn well that JJ would be no help to Pope, he would probably annoy him more than anything. "Bye," She said as she closed the door and walked back to her house.

As she entered the house, there were still workers everywhere fixing the place. She ran into her mum who was in the living room talking with Ward Cameron. As she neared, her mum's conversation with Ward had finished. "Hi Isobelle, how are you?" He asked.

"Hi, good thanks Mr Cameron," Isobelle answered surprised that he was even over. "What was that all about?" Isobelle asked once Ward was out of earshot.

"Oh, nothing really. Besides the fact that he wants to invest and become a partner with my Brand!" Lisa Kennedy said with a big smile on her face.

"Oh my gosh, Mum!! That's so good. Congratulations." Isobelle said as she gave her mum a hug.

"Yes, yes, me and Rose had been talking about how I was looking for more business opportunities and Ward was looking at ways to expand their lifestyle and I guess it just clicked."

"So, what does this mean, exactly?" 

"Um, well it would mostly be all marketing that he would be a part of, and we will announce this at midsummers which is coming up soon. After the announcement, our family will also be more involved with the country club."

"Oh, okay. That sounds good Mum"

"Yes, it is extremely good. Anyways what have you been up to, we haven't had much of a chance to talk, you've been out a lot."

"Oh yeah, we haven't been up to much. John B has kind of been struggling a bit though. The DCS has been on his case a bit recently. He doesn't want to leave his home." Isobelle said, technically not lying, but just not bringing up all the home invasions and mere run-ins with the cops and the idea that they may be on a treasure hunt.

"Oh, yeah it would be tough. It's good that he has friends like you who support him and are there for him." Lisa said smiling at her daughter. She used to be close to Big John when they lived on the cut. Isobelle's father would sometimes go fishing with Big John, the families kind of came together when his mum was still around. 

Suddenly Lisa's phone began to vibrate again, "Hey, I'm sorry sweety I have to take this, but I'll talk to you later," she said kissing her cheek as she walked up the stairs towards her office.

"Yep, business is business," Isobelle said used to having to share her relationship with her mum and her job. Isobelle made her way up to her room and just hung out in her bedroom for a while until she got a text from JJ saying they were on their way and that John B had figured out something.

Authors Note:

Hey guys, thank you so much for all the love and support!! I hope you liked this chapter, I thought I owe it to you guys to publish two chapters today as I haven't been posting much recently. Let me know if you have any suggestions that could help me as a writer, this is my first time writing anything like this. If you would prefer more scenes from the obx storyline or more of my scenes, let me know xx