Chapter 25 | Midsummers

"Hey Issy, is that you?" Lisa Kennedy asked as she heard the front door shut, sitting on a barstool in the kitchen.

"Hey mum," Isobelle replied putting as best of a smile on her face.

"Sweety, where have you been? No calls, no texts, you know how I feel about this," Lisa began to lecture.

"Look, I'm sorry I should have called," Isobelle replied trying to hold back tears.

"Yeah, you should of. I mean, I was worried that you weren't even going to bother to show up for midsummer's," Isobelle scoffed at this.

"Of course, that is your main priority," she said rolling her eyes.

"I'll have you know I have worked my ass off for this. This is a big deal, Isobelle."

"Yeah, I know. It is the only thing you prioritize. Maybe if you didn't spend your nights typing away on your laptop, maybe, you would actually know where your kids are," Isobelle replied, a bitter feeling as the words poured out of her mouth. A feeling of guilt. She knew what her mum had gone through and all the shit she had done to get to where she is now, hell she went through it too. But, she couldn't help but feel forgotten, ever since her mum had launched her business, the pair had grown extremely distant. Isobelle just wanted her mum back.

"No, no, no. You do not get to play that card on me! My business is not the only thing I prioritize and you know that.  Look, sweety, I will admit I haven't been around much lately and I am sorry for that. After tonight I will be working only 5 days a week, within daytime hours."

"I'm sorry mum, I shouldn't have yelled at you like that and......" Isobelle was cut off by her mum wrapping her arms around her.

"Hey, look at us, we don't fight. We're like the Gilmore Girls," Lisa said as she let go over her daughter.

Isobelle giggled slightly, "Yeah, I know but even they fight sometimes too," she pointed out.

"Oh yes, that is very true. Ok, back to midsummers. I have organised 3 different dresses for you, lying on your bed. You can pick which one you like to wear and we need to be at the venue to meet the Camerons at 4:00 sharp. And your sister is over next door, getting ready with Wheezie, if you're looking for her."

"Ok, thanks mum," Isobelle said as she left the room and began to walk up the stairs. When she got to her room, she saw the three dresses her mum was talking about. One purple, one a light pink, and one a navy blue. She knew exactly who's opinion she need. 

"This is disgusting," Kie said as she held the phone in the mirror so Isobelle could see the light purple satin dress her mum had gotten her. She had a purple flower headpeace over her hair which was put up in a bun, a couple of cirly pieces hanging out the front.

"No, it's not, Kie. You look beautiful in purple," Isobelle replied to the girl.

"I know, it's just horrible," Isobelle could hear Kie's mum from inside the room. "I'm asking you to relax and go to a fun party. Kie rolled her eyes into the phone as her mum said this.

"I look like a bourgeoisie pig," Kie replied. Isobelle feeling like she was envading their privacy as the two had a conversation.

"Will you please not worry about socioeconomic injustice for one night?" Mrs Carrera asked as she put on her jewelry. Isobelle was still sitting on the face time call, silent.

"Mum, people not three miles from here have no power, no running water, and we're going to Midsummers. That's so tone deaf."

"Honey, do you know how hard we had to work to get into the Island Club?" Mrs Carrera asked her daughter, Isobelle recalling the conversation she had had with her mum earlier. Her mum spent years perfecting her business and when they moved back from New York, people had heard about her business, and the Island Club immediately invited her in, but that was only when she had a successful career. Before that, nobody even knew Lisa Kennedy existed really.