Chapter 2

I head straight to my new home, and my belongings have already been delivered. I start putting things away.

SNAP!!! What was that noise? I open my window to see a red haired boy about my age in the large tree in front of the apartment building, swearing under his breath about the broken branch causing him to get caught.

"Who are you?" I ask, very much concerned.

"I'm Ash."

"That's so fake! No living person has a WORD name!! They're all numbers!!"

"I'm 979534869719, but I go by Ash"

I search for 979534869719 in my mental computer, and his files appear, including an image. He was telling the truth."What were you doing?"

"I don't see why that's any of your business," he spat.

"You were SPYING ON ME!" I yell furiously.

He laughs nervously, "yeah. Uhh can I come in?"

"My HOME?!" He has to be loosing his mind. As a human with a brain, I know that you don't let stalkers inside your house.

"Uhh... Yes.."

Before I can say something else, he leaps across to my window.

"Are you trying to get yourself KILLED?" I demand, shocked by the stunt.

He changes the subject. "Wow!" he says, gawking at my books.

"If you insult me, you're going right back out the window!"

"Bullied a lot pre-color?"

"Yes. I guess it was my obsession with books."

"Me, too," he whispers faintly.

"What?" I question, genuinely confused, thinking he was saying he had been bullied, too. His looks vociferate "I'm super cool, bow down to me" too loud for that to make any sense.

"I am obsessed with books."

Oh. "Have you ever read The Darkest of Violets?"

"Just a MILLION TIMES!!" he smiles. "That's why I started to call myself Ash, a word name."

"You realize the only reason Icy and Summer have word names is because they lived in the second time era, before the colors and numbers were developed and the third era began."

"Yeah, but still." His red hair is loose and as wild as a fire and his eyes are a golden color. I see that Ash is the perfect name for him.

"Can I have a word name, too?" I whisper. Sure, my number sequence is unique, but it's really dull and boring as well.

"Of course!" he says loudly, and I turn to see if anyone heard him. "What shall it be?"

I look around. I think about The Darkest of Violets. I think about Icy, the main character, and Icy's, sister, Summer. Summer is beautiful, talented, gregarious, and popular. OH, HOW SHE IS SO POPULAR!!! Boys and girls alike admire Summer's long, shimmery dark hair. Much like Icy, I am jealous of Summer, being the complete opposite. I'm dull, boring, awkward, and taunted/ teased all the time. My pale blonde hair differentiates me even MORE from Summer. We are exact opposites. Like black and white. Short and tall. Summer and Winter.

"WINTER!! That's it!!" It takes me a second to realize I had said my thoughts aloud.

"So," he smiles, "it seems you have came up with your word name."

"Uh.." What should I say? What do I say now? "Yeah... You're right... Winter is what I have chosen to be word name."

He chuckles at my awkwardness. "Why Winter?"

What do I tell him now? "You know.. Reasons," I awkwardly mumble.

"Oh," he decides to let it go.

"What color are you in?" I can't believe I hadn't asked that yet! It's a matter of whether we're currently breaking the law.

"Red," he says.

I FREAK out it is forbidden for conversations to go on between different colors!

"I know, I KNOW!" he says, "we're not supposed to be talking! It's not a big deal!"

"Not a big deal?! I am- I mean was a perfect law abider!"

"Alright I'll just go..." He turns to the window.

"No! Wait!"

"Okay... What is it"

"Please come back soon!" WHAT did I just do?!

He smiles. "I thought you were Miss Perfect."

"Shut up!" I slap him.

He jumps out the window. I call after him, "What are you doing?!" He doesn't hear me. He has already jumped.