Chapter 3

Ash returns through the window various times. On his seventh visit, he brings another boy. "Winter, this is Phoenix. Phoenix, Winter," Ash introduces us. "Today, we're zip-lining," he announces.

"What if we don't wanna zip-line?" Phoenix asks.

"What if we're scared of heights?" I question.

"Phoenix, you should. Winter, you're not. You're on the seventh story of an apartment and have no trouble looking at the ground out the window."

I make a pouty face "What if we're sick or allergic to something in the zip-lining gear, or have fear of zip-lines because of previous experience?"

Ash laughs. "You both are clearly not sick. The gear's hypoallergenic and if you are allergic than we can go to a hospital. I can tell- neither of you have zip- lined before. Now let's go."

I fasten the gear, and giggle nervously. The rope is awfully thin, and people aren't supposed to zip until they are 25 unless they are golds. Golds have so many privileges. Ash pushes me and I scream. Down, down, down. My eyes are closed tight when I realize it would be safer to stay alert. I open them to a bright world. I am flying. I smile. The view is so pretty. I forget the thin rope and the height. The laws, the government, being so high up, I'm also mentally above them and their strict stupidity. I smile and descend quickly. I love the speed, the air smacking my face, and all my fears are shrinking.

When I get off, I go again and again, l'appel du vide calling out to me. Over the next couple of months, I spend all my time with Ash. I can feel the urge now. I want to jump, to feel the air against my face. With him, having fun, the law no longer exists. With Ash, and sometimes Phoenix, I am free.