Hesitation Is Defeat

????: "My grandson, is that all you've got? I thought you were stronger like your father, but you were easily killed by a puny non-sorcerer who outsmarted you. Get up, you're not done yet, and remember, hesitation is defeat."

Y/N's grandfather haunted him in his dream, his words carrying a strong impact that made his family bloodline shiver. However, Y/N was different from his ancestors. He refused to let his grandfather mock him for being weak. He was determined to become stronger, stronger than any of his ancestors. The exaggeration of his family's death would not define him.

Slowly, his eyes opened, and his hand began to move, eventually gripping the dirt tightly.

[Tengen Territory]

A gunshot rang out, echoing throughout the territory. The bullet was near Riko's head, her reaction too slow to notice the bullet already nearing her left temple.

Toji: *Grinning* Job's done.

As the bullet was about to hit her temple to kill her instantly, it unexpectedly bounced off, causing Riko to stagger to the right and fall to the ground, leaving a large bruise on her left temple.

Riko's fall surprised and alarmed Kuroi and Geto. Toji was also surprised and confused by the fact that his bullet had just bounced off as if it was nothing.

Toji: What!?

Kuroi quickly helped Riko to stand as Geto stood in front of them on guard.

Geto: Get out of here now, before he catches you two!

Kuroi: *Nods* On it! Come on, Riko!

Riko: But-

Geto: Go now!

Kuroi carried Riko on her shoulder and started running away from Toji. He attempted to shoot them from a distance, but the bullets were blocked by Geto's curse spirits.

Toji: Alright, let's get this over with. I'm done playing games!

Geto: I won't let you get near Riko!

And so, they began to clash inside the Tengen territory.

Meanwhile, Kuroi and Riko finally made it out of the territory. They continued to run without looking back, moving farther away to ensure Toji lost sight of them.

After a few minutes, they had finally distanced themselves far enough from Toji to evade capture and were catching their breath. Riko's eyes started watering, and her breathing became uncontrollable due to hiccups. She held her chest tightly as things took a turn for the worse.

Kuroi frowned at Riko's state and walked towards her, offering her shoulder for comfort. However, Riko pushed her hand away, surprising Kuroi.

Riko: Get away from me!!

Kuroi: Riko-

Kuroi tried to approach her, but Riko backed away with tears streaming down her cheeks.

Riko: No! Stay back! You'll die too!

Kuroi stopped in her tracks and lowered her head as she backed away from Riko. Suddenly, she heard rustling leaves and loud steps approaching them. Panic rose, and she quickly grabbed Riko, putting her behind her in a protective position.

Riko widened her eyes as it seemed Toji had managed to track them down. With Kuroi standing in front to protect her, Riko felt anxious, fearing that Kuroi might face the same fate as Y/N, Gojo, and Geto. She didn't want to lose her too.