Forgotten Child - Athena Grant

Erin Grant - 11

Athena Grant-Nash sat at the kitchen table, savoring a rare moment of peace with her morning coffee. The sun had just begun to rise, casting a soft glow through the window. She cherished these quiet moments before the chaos of the day began. Her eldest daughter, May, was already off to college, and her youngest son, Harry, was still fast asleep. But it was her middle child, Erin, who had been on her mind lately.

Erin, at 11, was a remarkable young girl. She was smart, athletic, and talented in many ways. However, Athena didn't notice the subtle signs of Erin's growing frustration and desperation. Athena was so busy celebrating May's college achievements and Harry's school successes that she didn't see Erin's silent cry for attention.

Athena's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of footsteps on the stairs. Erin appeared in the doorway, her school uniform neatly pressed and her backpack slung over one shoulder. She looked ready to take on the world, as usual.

"Good morning, Mom," Erin said with a bright smile.

"Good morning, sweetheart," Athena replied, her eyes barely lifting from the newspaper. "Harry, don't forget to grab your lunch from the fridge before you leave!" she called out.

Harry, still groggy from sleep, shuffled into the kitchen and sat down beside Athena. "Morning, Mom," he mumbled.

"Morning, buddy. Did you sleep well?" Athena asked, ruffling his hair affectionately.

"Yeah, I did. Thanks," Harry replied, grabbing a piece of toast from the table.

Erin stood there for a moment, waiting for her mother to acknowledge her. When Athena continued to focus on Harry, Erin's smile faltered slightly, but she quickly masked it. "I have practice after school today, so I'll be home a bit later," she said, trying to get her mother's attention.

"Okay, honey. Just be safe," Athena replied absently, her mind already drifting to Harry's upcoming math test results.

Erin sighed and turned to leave. Just then, Bobby Nash, her stepfather, walked in. He was always more perceptive about Erin's feelings, but even he had been busy lately.

"Morning, kiddo," Bobby greeted Erin, giving her a warm smile.

"Morning, Bobby," Erin replied, a bit more cheerfully. "I have a big test today. Wish me luck?"

"You don't need luck. You've got this," Bobby said encouragingly. He gave her a quick hug before she headed out the door.

Athena noticed the interaction but didn't think much of it. As she busied herself with the morning routine, she made a mental note to have a deeper conversation with her daughter soon. She wanted to understand what was driving her daughter to push herself so hard.

****

That afternoon, Erin arrived at her after-school dance practice. She had been working tirelessly on her routine, hoping to impress her coach and earn a spot in the upcoming recital. The other girls in her group had been practicing just as hard, but Erin felt the weight of her own expectations.

As the practice began, Erin threw herself into every move, every step, every jump. Her eyes were focused, her mind determined. She wanted this so badly—to show her mother that she was just as talented, just as worthy of praise as her siblings.

"Great job, everyone!" the coach called out at the end of practice. "Erin, you've improved so much. Keep up the good work!"

Erin's heart soared with the praise, but it was bittersweet. She knew her mother wouldn't be there to see it. She hoped that maybe, just maybe, this would be enough to catch her mother's attention.