CHAPTER ONE

Why always her?

Reece's eyes widened in shock as he watched Mia and Carly giggling together. The red head was dressed as a little Red Devil, and the apprentice was dressed as a Cindy Doll. Marjorie had strong armed Reece into a Barbie and Ken couples costume - one thing led to another and Carly turned their costume into more of a three person deal. Halloween had never really been his thing, but apparently the annual Knight Nursery Halloween party was a big shin-dig and Marjorie had been so excited.

The logical part of his brain understood. Time had passed, Mia made Charlotte so happy Reece was concerned the glow she now emitted would give him sunburn, and she had paid for Carly's driving lessons to begin making amends. Furthermore, he had witnessed his ex girlfriend making an effort with Carly, smiling at her, asking her how her lessons were going, complimenting her. She was trying so hard. And not that he would admit it out loud, but Reece thought she was doing a pretty good job. It's amazing what love can do.

The more emotional side of him however...god this was infuriating. For years, everyone had seen him as the bad guy. Nobody forgave him for his indiscretions so easily. Fine, Mia was beautiful - but why did that make her so special? Being so young and full of love and life, Carly wasn't one to cling onto a grudge. He knew that, and it was actually something he truly admired about her. On this occasion though...why couldn't she have clung onto it, just a little bit? Reece felt fiercely protective of the seventeen year old, and her trust in him made him feel like finally someone had seen his good heart from the get go. Recently however he had noticed a shift in Carly. She didn't come to him for advice so often anymore, preferring to ask Charlotte on occasion but mostly (much to his surprise) Mia. The red head didn't even work at the nursery anymore, but she often dropped Charlotte off, picked her up, or came to spend lunch with her. Carly had excitedly told him on several occasions that she had plans for the weekend with Charlotte and Mia - they were going out for a picnic, shopping, something girly.

What the hell?

Reece was snapped out of his thoughts by Marjorie placing her hand gently on his arm. He turned to look at her and was met by her beautiful eyes looking back up at him.

"Come and sit with everyone grumpy." She was only joking, and as she saw Reece's eyes narrow slightly, she giggled. Turning on her heel, she headed over to the large table where nearly everyone had gathered. She knew he was following her - she didn't even need to check.

As Reece sat down, he could immediately hear Carly's voice nattering away to Mia, telling her about a recent disastrous date experience. It was just the two of them engrossed in their conversation - Charlotte was sat at the other end of the table in her little White Angel costume, halo bobbing around as she excitedly chatted to Sorcha and her wife about their new baby daughter.

"Honestly Carly, men just aren't worth it."

He knew she was just trying to reassure Carly that dating isn't the be all and end all. He knew it wasn't a slight against him. He knew it wasn't his conversation to insert himself into. But that familiar simmering feeling was washing over him again, bubbling up into a red hot rage.

"Oh FUCK OFF Mia."