Chapter 1

Wealth, that seductive illusion that captivates the minds of so many people

Wealth, that seductive illusion that captivates the minds of so many people. For some, it is synonymous with success, power, and high social status. It is the promise of a carefree life, where every desire can be fulfilled with a mere snap of the fingers. It is the key to a world of luxury and comfort, where doors open before you and every day is a celebration. Yet, being born with a silver spoon in your mouth is not always ideal, especially when everything collapses.

Despite the idyllic appearances of my childhood, marked by sumptuous homes with lush gardens and toy-filled rooms, surrounded by servants ready to satisfy my every whim, and parents indulging my every desire, from princess dresses to the latest fashion finds, growing up with the privilege of having everything and being born with the certainty of being able to do anything had not prepared me to face challenges that cannot be bought.

The ten-year-old girl I once was believed this golden life would be eternal and could never have imagined that her beloved father would be arrested, then take his own life upon his return, that her family's accounts could be frozen, and their homes seized. She never thought she would live with her mother in a modest house on the outskirts of town, far from the upscale neighborhoods of her childhood.

For the first time in our lives, we had to learn to live on a tight budget, to count every penny, and to face difficulties I had never imagined. Gone were the princess dresses and sumptuous meals; now we had to settle for simple meals and second-hand clothes.

The first days were a shock. Everything was different: the public school, the friends who could be counted on one hand, the need to make compromises at every turn. My mother, who had always been an elegant and well-groomed lady, started working long hours to provide for us. I saw her come home exhausted but determined to give us a decent life.

At school, I went from being the spoiled child to the one who had to learn to defend herself. Other children could be cruel, mocking my background and my family's downfall. But I also discovered solidarity. A few classmates welcomed me kindly, sharing their snacks and inviting me to play with them.

It was also during this time that I met my best friend, Ruby Bell. It was by her side that I managed to adapt and forget my past life. But she was also the only person who could distract me when my thoughts turned to the Beaufort family, one of the most powerful and influential families in England, but also my number one enemies.

However, the resentment I feel towards them today was not always so deeply rooted in me. Once, our two families were as close as two fingers on a hand, a closeness that went back generations.

Our families had joined forces 150 years ago to found the Beaufort-Martin company. A bold decision that led them to establish the most coveted fashion house in England. Inspired by their vision and determination, they shaped a true fashion empire, whose success only grew year after year. Every new collection was met with enthusiasm, every piece became an object of desire, and their name became synonymous with refinement and elegance around the world. Together, our families built a kingdom where we were the undisputed rulers. But everything changed the day Mortimer Beaufort, hungry for power, betrayed my father, allowing him to rule our kingdom alone.