꧁ XLIII ꧂

Several hours had passed.

Lailah was still enjoying the sake after the swordsman, whom she now knew as Gilgamesh, told her the story of Yggdrasil. It was the only part of his memory that was still intact. Her father's previous world was called Helia and just like Gaia, he was the world tree who overlooked all who called it home. The elements flowed through his roots, allowing the world to thrive. The swordsman had met the god when he was traveling through dimensions and wound up on Helia. They wound up becoming friends before the swordsman left to travel to another world, which happened years prior to the invasion.

Unfortunately, Gilgamesh could not tell her about the destruction of Helia due to his departure before the cataclysmic destruction of the star.

Lailah smiled at his story. "Sounds like my father's always had a big heart."

"A bleeding heart, indeed," Gilgamesh said, taking a sip of his own sake.

"Thank you for telling me. Yggdrasil's current state is...not ideal, and I don't think he remembers anything about Helia. He's even struggling with the memories he created when he arrived on this star. I hope I can save him from the Blight that is plaguing him before he's killed..."

Gilgamesh placed one of his many hands on her shoulder. "Focus on the path you tread and you shall, young one, for I sense in you a power that extends beyond this world."

Lailah poured herself another serving of sake. She had almost finished the bottle but wasn't drunk. As a peaceful silence befell them, she continued to enjoy the alcoholic beverage.

"Hey."

Hearing Cloud's voice, Lailah looked over at him and smiled. "You made it!"

He walked across the engawa to her. "Y'know you've been gone for a while, right?" He saw the small sake set, his brows furrowing in confusion. "You're drinking? With him?"

She put the small cup down and stood up. "Yeah." She tilted her head. "You must've found another protorelic."

"Chadley contacted us after you disappeared. Finding another protorelic was the only way we could figure out if you were taken here."

"Sorry for worrying you," she said.

"Come," Gilgamesh spoke to the ex-SOLDIER. "Let us share a drink beneath the stars."

"I'll pass," Cloud replied.

"Really? You're missing out on some really good sake," Lailah said.

"I'm good," he said. That was when he noticed her cheeks were slightly flushed. "You're not drunk, are you?"

"Nope," she answered honestly. "Just a little buzzed."

Gilgamesh scoffed. "Hmph. I offer to reward your fruitless labors, yet you refuse to accept. Thieves thirst only for spoils."

Cloud eyed the swordsman. "Excuse me?"

"Wait a second, it's not—" Lailah tried to explain.

However, Gilgamesh interrupted her. "You've absconded with nigh every Genji piece I own. Is there a name more befitting than "thief"?! To wit, you've made off with six." He stood up with his shield still filled with sake. "My helm and breastplate; my gloves and greaves. However! One item eludes your avaricious grasp."

The swordsman quickly downed the rest of the sake before slamming it against the floor. "Behold, knave—my Genji Shield!"

Lailah blinked in shock. "You were drinking out of it the whole time...?"

"That another protorelic?" Cloud asked.

"You fool! 'Tis the aegis of Genji!" Gilgamesh placed his foot on the shield. "Once the full set is again in my possession, the rest of my memories shall at last return...and I will know not only whence I came, but whither I must go! And thus! In the name of Genji, I issue one final challenge!"