11: You're So Cool It Makes Me Hate You So Much

I had a dream that night I became the creature that caused Ms. Kujo to look at me with suspicion and distrust. I tried to speak to her, but my fangs grew too large over my mouth and muffled my words.

"You're just like your mother," my stepfather appeared from the shadows, his belt in his hand.

"You're just like your father," Joel suddenly appeared behind me, his hand crackling with Hamon. The heat burned my skin.

I woke up with a jolt, my breath hitched in my throat. There was a moment of panic when I didn't remember where I was and jumped out of bed, causing a pillow to fall to the floor. Memories flooded back and I remembered I was alone, which meant I was safe.

My shoulders dropped and I fell back into the soft bed. The sun was shining, beckoning me to rise again, but all desire to move melted into the bed sheets. Physically, I was energized, but mentally I was exhausted. I was temporarily safe due to the Kujos' kindness, but I'd soon need to find a new place to stay. I shouldn't inconvenience them more than necessary. I lay in bed in a daze when I suddenly jumped up in a sitting position. My friends!! I hadn't called them!

After struggling with my old, cracked phone for 20 minutes, grabbing their numbers between the phone flickering to life and dying every few seconds, I was able to transfer their numbers to my new phone.

"Sorry about the silence. My old phone got crunched. This is a temporary one." I started another group chat with them.

"Giorno, finally! We were worried."

"Where have you been? Why aren't you at school today?"

"People have been talking about you making a scene on campus yesterday. What happened?"

"Bovoleto told some people you had a mental breakdown and your dad sent you to a mental hospital. Is that true?"

I internally groaned.

They called me between first and second period. Their faces were huddled together on the screen, and I recognized from the background they were standing behind the school. I told them what had happened, leaving out some of the less savory parts, only telling them dad "beat me up." I wasn't ready to talk about it fully. I could barely think about it.

"What?? How could he do that??," Trish asked indignantly. "I'm so sorry that happened," her voice lowered and she bit her lip anxiously.

"I'll give him a piece of my mind! And my fists!"

Fugo put a hand on Narancia's shoulder by her neck and gave her a warning squeeze. She then looked intently into the camera, "Giorno, you should really talk to Ms. Buccellati. Explain your situation. Maybe get Child Protection Services involved and-"

I cut her off. "I'll be 18 in a few months. I can take care of this until then."

Fugo opened her mouth to protest but thoughtfully shut it. She tilted her head slightly and gave me a probing look.

"Stubbornly shouldering too much on your own like this isn't sustainable," Trish said. "It's okay to ask for help."

"You can stay with me!" Narancia offered. "I'll hammer nails into a baseball bat and we'll keep it by the bedroom door. No one will dare mess with us."

"Wouldn't your dad mind?" I asked.

"Dad will barely notice you're even here," she had a forced grin. "Besides, I always wanted a sister!"

"Can I really stay with you? Thank you, Narancia." I was touched.

"I have one condition, though," Narancia grabbed the phone from Fugo and stared into it seriously. Her face now took up the entire screen.