12: Now The Sun Has Gone Down

The house was silent and empty when I awoke a little before noon. Disorientation hung in the air like sick days when I stayed home from school.

The bedroom door suddenly flung open, and I blinked at the sight of Narancia holding a familiar duffel bag. With her, she brought the scent of the sunshine and outdoors.

"Aren't you supposed to be at school?" I asked while rubbing my eyes.

Narancia shrugged. "I got bored during math class. Besides, we can study together later when Fugo and Trish bring their notes and your assignments. It'll be more fun that way!" she set the bag on her bed and plopped down next to it, the movement jostling me further awake.

I was worried Narancia was practicing bad habits that caused her to drop out of school in the first place. If she dropped out a second time, I wasn't sure she'd be able to come back. "Fugo's going to lecture you again about how 'Half of success is just showing up!'"

Narancia made a 'pfft' noise and waved her hand as if dismissing the threat of a Fugo lecture. "I just tune her out when she starts repeating herself like that."

"Don't let me distract you from school. You're already doing more than enough by letting me stay here."

"Don't worry about it," Narancia waved her hand dismissively again. "I want to do this. Anyway, I borrowed your keys to get a few things from your dorm because I noticed you only brought one extra set of clean clothes with you. Also!" she opened the bag and started emptying its contents across the bed. "I saw your school uniform was torn, so I brought your sewing kit. You can try repairing it while you study from home."

My chest tightened at her kindness and I gripped the bed sheets between two fists when I remembered why my uniform needed repair. "I can't thank you enough, Narancia..." my stiff voice caught in my throat.

"It's no problem! What are friends for?"

Part of me worried her open and selfless attitude would one day be taken advantage of by a selfish person. I hoped I wouldn't become that selfish person. "I owe you. I'll pay you back somehow."

Narancia wrinkled her nose. "Seriously, it's okay! You'd do the same for me. Trish told me what you did for her that one time when she was in trouble."

"It was the least I could do. I treated her horribly when we first met."

Narancia hummed thoughtfully. "Well, friendship isn't as transactional as you might think. Sometimes people do nice things for each other just because we want to with no strings attached."

I paused to consider this. I'd spent my life trying to be as pleasing as possible to my parents. I thought if I could be impressive or useful to them to the point of reading their minds to know what they wanted before they spoke, then maybe one day they'd not only like me, but maybe love me. I failed splendidly. I hadn't realized I carried the same attitudes about my parents into my friendships, assuming everyone around me was keeping score. I wondered if I'd bring that attitude into my date with Joel, too. I already felt indebted to him after all he's done.

Narancia plopped my school books into my lap, jolting me out of my thoughts. "I'm sure you're really happy to see these," she laughed bitterly.

I looked at the few outfits thrown across the bed and wondered if any of them would be suitable for dinner. "Narancia, I..." My embarrassment of what I was about to say about Joel felt like a wall of thorny vines strangling the words on my lips.

"I told you to not worry about it!" Narancia crossed her arms and tapped one foot on the floor. "You're acting strange today. Did something happen last night?"