Wattpad Original
There are 21 more free parts

Ch. 2: Nate

A wave of shock and disbelief washed over me when my gaze settled on Lucius. My mouth fell open. Yet no words managed to escape. It couldn't be true... And yet, here we stood, his hands now intertwined with mine, connecting us in a way that defied logic.

My composure teetered on the edge of sanity as he closed the distance between us, his scent enveloping me in an intoxicating embrace. Struggling to catch my breath, I instinctively grasped the bar for support.

Across from me, Lucius's amber eyes transformed, their wild intensity mirroring the awakening of his inner wolf on a full moon. He gathered in my appearance with a confident smile, sparking a surge of excitement within my own wolf.

My heart thundered in my chest, and a primal impulse swept over me, compelling me to growl in declaration: Lucius Nightshade was mine.

Yet, almost as quickly as the intense moment had arrived, it was shattered by the careless brush of a passing guest, jolting me out of my frenzied thoughts, and the weight of reality settled upon us as we both came to the same realization.

Mates! We were fated mates!

Lucius promptly withdrew his hand. His expression morphed into a frown that reflected his frustration, but also... conflict. He was confused by us.

"This isn't right... You're not..." Lucius faltered, his words stumbling as he struggled to find the right ones. His fingers tapped restlessly against the surface of his glass. "You're not who I expected."

"And what's wrong with me?" I shot back, angered by his reply which insinuated that I was somehow unworthy of being his mate. Not that I wanted to be his mate.

"Nothing's wrong." Lucius' eyes scanned the lively hall, ensuring that our conversation remained private. "It's just not possible for us to be mates when I believe someone else is my mate."

"Well fate seems to think otherwise," I retorted, my irritation growing in response to his outright denial. How could he dismiss the undeniable connection we'd experienced?

He swept his hand through his hair. "You can't be my mate."

"Believe me I don't like it either. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd end up being mated to Lucius Nightshade!" A mix of frustration and disbelief colored my words. I rubbed my temples in an attempt to ease the throbbing ache in my head.

"What's that supposed to mean?" His forehead creased, and he forcefully brought his glass down onto the bar, causing nearby guests to startle. "Any wolf would love to be my mate."

"I don't like you."

"It didn't stop you from flirting with me," Lucius scoffed.

"Let's not forget, you're the one who addressed me as 'mate.'"

"That..." He halted, his lips pressing together in a firm line.

His jaw clenched visibly, and he took a sharp inhale, his voice remaining calm before proceeding. "That was a mistake. I honestly can't explain what came over me."

"Fate, that's what happened."

I reached for my glass on the bar and downed its contents in a single gulp, craving the numbing effects of alcohol to help me endure the remainder of this conversation. But what I really needed was a cigarette.

"Let's approach this rationally," Lucius intervened, gently taking my drink and setting it on the bar. I shot him a dirty glare, but he paid no mind as he went on. "It's evident that this is a mistake."

"Absolutely."

"Then let's go about our evening like nothing happened," Lucius confirmed with a firm nod.