Hairy Mixup

"I'm a what?" Y/N said as Ron pushed him into an armchair when they reached the Gryffindor common room.

"A Parselmouth!" Ron said. "You can talk to snakes!"

"I heard it too," Harry piped up, "and I could understand what he said... what's wrong with it anyway? I bet loads of people here can do it."

"Oh, no they can't," Ron said. "It's not a very common gift, this is bad."

"What's bad?" Y/N asked.

"Yeah, what is bad?" Harry said, starting to sound angry. "What's wrong with everyone? Listen, if he hadn't told that snake not to attack Justin—"

"Oh, that's what he said to it?"

"What d'you mean? You were there—you heard him—"

"I heard him speaking Parseltongue," Ron said. "Snake language. He could've been saying anything—no wonder Justin panicked, he sounded like he was egging the snake on or something—it was creepy, you know..."

"I spoke a different language?" Y/N said. "But—how can speak a language without knowing I can speak it?"

Ron shook his head as he and Hermione looked at both of them as though someone had died.

"What's wrong with me saving Justin from getting bitten by a snake?" Y/N asked. "Does it really matter how I did it?"

"It matters," Hermione said, speaking at last in a hushed voice, "because being able to talk to snakes was what Salazar Slytherin was famous for. That's why the symbol of the Slytherin House is a serpent."

Harry's mouth fell open as Y/N remained silent.

"Really?" He said, "I thought it was because of his last name—"

"Y/N." Hermione said sharply.

"Right... sorry..."

"Even more worrying than that," Ron said "Now the whole school's going to think you're his great-great-great-great-grandson or something—"

"But I'm not." Y/N said, exchanging a glance with Harry. "We're not."

"You'll find that hard to prove," Hermione said. "He lived about a thousand years ago; for all we know, you could be."

They remained silent, Harry in deep thought as Ron seemed to panicking about his best friends being Parselmouths.

"There's... something else I have to tell you." Y/N said. He met Hermione's gaze and she knew what he was going to do. "I—erm—I can hear the voice too..."

"You can what?" Harry said in disbelief as both him and Ron went wide-eyed.

"Why didn't you say something?" Ron said.

"I-I know, I should've. I'm sorry for uh— not doing so." Y/N said. "I was... scared..."

Harry and Ron looked at each other.

"It's—it's fine." Harry said reassuringly, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "What's important now is that we know you can hear it too."

"Yeah," Ron said, "Now I've got two friends who can hear mysterious voices."

The next day, Y/N left the common room early due to his tutoring classes. He had just finished a dull lesson with Professor Binns. He couldn't manage to pay attention to the lesson, his mind still stuck on Ron's words last night.

Was he really the grandson of Slytherin? If so, was his father also the grandson of Slytherin? But then again, he knew nothing about him.

Being preoccupied, he didn't pay attention to where he was going. The result was that he walked into something very large and solid, which knocked him backward into the floor.