8

I've never put more concealer under my eyes, but it was needed. I looked truly horrible; even our staff stared weirdly at me.

The spring break was over, and school began.

Two weeks ago, I'd jump all day from happiness to meet Alice and be somewhere else rather than home, but because of Ember, my mood was dreadful.

After our encounter at the coffee shop, I had an hour of crying lesson with Alice in my car. She tried to cheer me up and say that everything would be sorted out, but I wasn't hopeful at all.

At night, I began to worry if the woman she drank coffee with was my temporary replacement, as she doesn't stay with one person for too long.

I was so enraged. I wanted to smack someone in the face and break some of their bones.

I began to have a better mood, my days were brighter, and I finally studied. But now? I don't even want to return to school.

However, I promised Alice I'd return to the dorms, when I fix my grades in history and math, I'll be back as her roommate.

I stared at myself in the mirror, finishing the last steps of my make-up routine. I straightened my long hair and styled it into a half-updo with a couple of free strands framing my face.

I chose a pleated aquamarine skirt with a v-neck-shaped tank top in powder white and sandals. Lastly, I grabbed my bag with my laptop and car keys and headed to the college.

The drive there took me about twenty minutes, and thankfully I was still able to find a free spot for parking. By this time, the parking lot is usually full.

I locked my car and made my way to the school campus, where I waited for Alice. Numerous people passed by me, all with smiles on their faces, or just my head wanted me to believe so, that my life was worse than theirs, but I know some people have nothing to eat, and I'm depressed because of an Ember.

I sighed frustratedly, and then Alice showed up, waving at me.

"Good morning! Rise and shine! I have some good news to deliver." Alice exclaimed, and I was in awe of her good mood.

I wished I could feel like her.

"Good morning, Alice. What happened?" I asked, and together we walked inside the school building.

"I heard a rumor that our old history professor got replaced by someone young and new. Nobody knows who it is, but I guess we're about to find out." She explained.

Mr. Myers was really a horrible professor. His classes were the most boring ones, and if you didn't remember when exactly all the people who are no longer alive took a piss, you failed. That's what happened to me, unfortunately.

As we walked inside the hallway, I immediately recognized the icy-blond hair and that incredible figure.

I grabbed Alice by her arm and tugged her to me.

"We have to wait a bit." I quietly said.

Alice arched an eyebrow and glanced behind her shoulder. "Oh god, what is she doing here?"

That's a very good question, I thought.

"I have no idea, but I really don't want to pass by her." History was our first class, and I truly didn't want to be late when I was failing that class, but I didn't want her to see me.

Alice rubbed her chin as she was lost in thoughts, and the time was ticking. Then she readjusted her bucket hat and suddenly froze.

"I have an idea!" She exclaimed loudly, and I had to shush her.