5

The spring break has started, and despite it only being March, the weather in this town has always been hell. Not even the Devil himself could handle this absurd heat.

Alice was calling me nonstop to keep up with current gossip. She said she missed me and our talks at two in the morning. Yes, we are both very messed-up people. I assured her that after spring break, I'd be coming back to the dorms.

Being at home felt like I was in prison. All I was doing these past two weeks was studying and nothing more. Alice was always there to annoy me with her text messages, and I highly appreciated it.

I begged my parents, especially my father, to go back to the dorms. He said my grades hadn't improved yet, but he would give me a chance after the first exam. If I fail it, I won't ever go back, and I'll leave Alice completely alone. I told him that the tutoring lessons had already helped me and that I wouldn't mess up my grades any further.

My father isn't a man who gives second chances, so I knew I really had to study hard to prove myself to him.

I haven't seen Ember since that day...

She couldn't come because she had something important to attend to. Her text message said, "I apologize, Ms. Campbell, for my upcoming absence, but I have something important to attend. I'm attaching two files from history and math, and when I come back next week, I shall give you a small test about it, if you studied it."

I couldn't stop wondering, what was that something important? But I knew nothing about her. I didn't even know if she was only a tutor or a teacher, or how old she was. We got so lost in our lust that we had no time for intimate conversation.

Is she having a good time with everyone else that she's tutoring, or is it just me? I thought and kept biting my nails. I do this when I'm nervous.

I splashed my hands against the water out of frustration. I hated the warm weather but loved swimming in our fifty-foot pool. I'm the one who's using it the most since my parents are too busy to relax.

I've been inside the pool for God knows how long; I didn't even bring my phone with me. I took a few laps and then laid down on the lounge chair next to the pool. I had the best view of our entry backyard. Everywhere my eyes went, there were planted flowers of all kinds. I had to appreciate the gardener's skill.

I grabbed the book next to me and continued to read where I left off. A couple of minutes passed by when a shadow was cast on my book, and I didn't understand where it came from since there were no clouds in the sky. I tilted my head back and almost got a heart attack.

"Is this how you're studying the files I've sent you?" Ember stood with her hands inside the beige cargo shorts pockets behind me, staring into my eyes. She wore a simple white T-shirt, and her hair was styled in a low bun.

She snatched the book out of my hands and flipped it to the back. "What is this about? Romance?" She asked, and I jumped out of the chair and tried to take it back from her.

"Hmm, this is interesting, I must admit. Can I borrow it?" She smirked as she looked at me.

I stopped walking, put my hand on my hip, and glared at her. "Give it back, you thief!" I stretched my hand toward her.

She chuckled, and slowly placed it in my hand. As I gripped the book in my hand, I noticed how her eyes lingered up and down my body. I was wearing a red one-piece swimming suit, so my whole body was exposed.

I hid my breasts behind the book and felt the blood rush to my cheeks. "W-What are you doing here? We are supposed to have a lesson tomorrow, or am I wrong?" I asked with a slight tremor in my voice.