36 - What We're Fighting For

The afternoon sun cast long shadows across the dusty living room of a once-grand home. Motes danced in the golden light, illuminating a young woman with hair the color of spun sunlight. Julianna, Princess of the Forgotten Kingdom Aethel, stood beside her father, King Edgar. Her mismatched eyes, one the cool blue of the summer sky, the other the warm amber of the setting sun, mirrored the turmoil within her.

"Julianna," King Edgar began, his voice raspy with worry lines etched around his kind eyes, "You said you found your..." he trailed off, searching for the right word.

Julianna, unable to contain her excitement, threw an arm around the man standing awkwardly beside her. His mismatched eyes, one violet mirroring twilight, the other a vibrant emerald that mimicked the spring forest, met Julianna's with a hesitant smile. His hair, the color of twilight shadows, stood out against the room's faded grandeur. "Dad, this is Varian! He's, well..." she blushed, searching for the words, "He's special."

King Edgar studied Varian with a mix of curiosity and suspicion. "Special, huh? That's putting it mildly, Julianna."

Julianna took a deep breath. "Dad, there's no easy way to say this. Zhan Tiri's back, and she's using the Moonstone's power to—"

Varian stepped forward, his voice ringing with quiet determination. "To destroy everything. But I won't let her."

King Edgar raised an eyebrow. "And how exactly do you plan to achieve that, son?"

Julianna squeezed Varian's arm, her voice brimming with pride. "Because, Dad, Varian isn't just anyone. He's the Astral Rider."

Edgar's jaw dropped a fraction. Varian puffed out his chest a tad, trying to project an air of confidence despite the weight of responsibility.

Julianna continued, her voice gaining momentum. "He's a being born from stardust, with the very power of the stars coursing through his veins. He's the only one in this land who can counter Zhan Tiri's Moonstone magic."

King Edgar's gaze flickered between Julianna and Varian, a myriad of emotions dancing in his eyes. A long moment of tense silence stretched between them.

Finally, a gruff chuckle rumbled from King Edgar's chest. "Stardust, huh? Sounds like something out of one of your fairytales, Jules."

Julianna's smile faltered for a moment. "Dad, it's true! We've seen what Zhan Tiri is capable of. We can't just sit by and do nothing."

King Edgar softened, placing a hand on Julianna's freckled cheek. The worry lines seemed to deepen slightly. "I know, sweetheart. But this Zhan Tiri sounds dangerous. I just... worry about you."

Varian stepped forward again, his voice earnest. "She is dangerous, Your Majesty. But together, Julianna and I can stop her. I promise."

King Edgar took a long look at Varian, his gaze seeming to pierce right through him. Then, with a gruff nod, he spoke. "Alright, son. If you're going to be protecting my daughter, the princess of Aethel, then perhaps I can lend you a hand. But only if you promise to keep her safe."

A grin, as bright as a summer sun, split Varian's face. "Always, Your Majesty."

Julianna flung her arms around Varian, relief and joy washing over her like a tidal wave. "See, Dad! We can do this!"

King Edgar chuckled, a hint of warmth returning to his eyes. "Alright, alright. Now, how about we get you two something to eat? Sounds like you've got a long and arduous battle ahead of you."

Julianna and Varian shared a smile, a newfound sense of hope blossoming in the forgotten kingdom, fueled by the power of starlight and unwavering love.

A wry smile touched King Edgar's lips as he watched the joy radiating from his daughter and the young Astral Rider. "Excellent," he rumbled, a hint of his former kingly authority returning to his voice. "Now, Julianna, why don't you go and... freshen up a bit? I believe there are some pastries left in the kitchen."