3

I stumbled back outside, the weight of my failure pressing heavily on me. The oppressive silence of the city street seemed to mock my desperation. I had no choice but to continue my search, though my resolve felt shattered.

As I walked down the desolate street again, my legs felt like lead, each step heavier than the last. The crimson-red dots on the buildings and the ground seemed to pulse with a sinister rhythm, as if the entire city was alive and feeding off my fear. Every now and then, I would hear faint, unearthly whispers that sent chills down my spine.

My thoughts raced. Where else could I look? What other clues could I possibly find in this forsaken place? I had to believe that there was something, anything, that could lead me to my loved ones. I couldn’t give up. Not now. Not ever.

My stomach growled, reminding me that it had been hours since my last meal. I found a small park—overgrown and eerily silent—and sat down on a broken bench. I pulled out a piece of bread from my bag and forced myself to eat. The food tasted like ash, but I needed the energy. As I chewed, my eyes scanned the surroundings, looking for any sign of life or movement.

After finishing the meager meal, I stood up, determination rekindling in my heart. I had come too far to let despair overtake me. I decided to explore the outskirts of the city, hoping that maybe, just maybe, my family had found refuge there.

The path leading out of the city was overgrown with thick, thorny vines. I pushed through, wincing as the thorns scratched my arms and legs. The landscape around me began to change, the blue and green hues blending into deeper, more ominous shades. The air grew colder, and a thick mist began to roll in, obscuring my vision.

Suddenly, I heard a noise—faint, but unmistakable. It sounded like a voice, calling out in the distance. My heart leapt into my throat. Could it be my family? I broke into a run, following the sound through the twisting, shadowy path.

The voice grew louder, more distinct. It was a child's voice, calling for help. My breath caught as I recognized it—my youngest brother Anaay. “Anaay!” I screamed, my voice echoing through the mist. “Anaay, where are you?”

I rounded a bend in the path and saw a small figure ahead, standing at the edge of a dark alley. It was Anaay, his eyes wide with fear. He turned and ran towards me, tears streaming down his face. I dropped to my knees and held out my arms, and he collapsed into them, sobbing.

“Maya, I was so scared,” he whispered, clutching me tightly. “I couldn’t find anyone. I thought I was all alone.”

“It’s okay, Anaay,” I said, stroking his hair. “I’m here now. We’ll find the others together.”

With Anaay by my side, my determination solidified. We retraced our steps back to the city, my heart pounding with a mix of fear and hope. I knew that finding Anaay was just the beginning. My family was out there, scattered and scared, but we would be reunited. I would make sure of it.

As we entered the city again, the crimson-red dots seemed to pulse brighter, almost as if they were reacting to our presence. We searched every building, every alleyway, calling out for our siblings and father. The fear that had gripped me earlier was now replaced by a fierce resolve. I had to protect Anaay. I had to find the rest of my family.

Hours passed, and exhaustion threatened to overtake us. We found a small, relatively intact building and decided to rest. I barred the door and windows, creating a semblance of safety in this strange and hostile world. Anaay fell asleep almost immediately, his small body curled up next to me.

As I sat there, staring out into the darkness, I couldn’t shake the feeling that we were being watched. The eerie silence of the city pressed in on me, and the crimson dots outside seemed to pulse with a life of their own. My thoughts turned to the journal I had found earlier. Maybe I had missed something. Maybe there was a clue I hadn’t seen in my desperation.

I pulled the journal from my bag and began to read again, my eyes scanning every page with renewed focus. The symbols and cryptic notes swam before my eyes, but this time, I felt a glimmer of understanding. There were references to a place of convergence, a spot where the barriers between realms were weakest. If I could find this place, maybe I could find a way to bring my family back.

With Anaay still asleep, I studied the journal deep into the night, piecing together the fragments of information. By morning, I had a plan. It was risky, and there were no guarantees, but it was all I had.

I woke Anaay and explained what I had discovered. Together, we set out, following the clues in the journal. The journey was long and arduous, filled with dangers and strange, otherworldly creatures. But through it all, we pressed on, driven by our love for our family and our hope of reunion.

Finally, we reached the place described in the journal—a clearing in the heart of the city, bathed in an eerie, otherworldly light. The air crackled with energy, and the strange symbols from the journal glowed faintly around us.

Holding Anaay's hand tightly, I began to recite the words from the journal, my voice steady despite the fear coursing through me. The ground beneath us trembled, and the air seemed to shimmer. For a moment, I thought it was working. I thought we would be reunited with our family.

But then, the light faded, and the trembling stopped. Nothing happened. The clearing was silent and empty, and the realization hit me like a blow. I had failed again.

Anaay squeezed my hand, his eyes filled with tears. “It’s okay, Maya,” he whispered. “We’ll find them. I know we will.”

I nodded, though my heart felt heavy with despair. We had come so far, and yet, we were no closer to finding our family. But Anaay’s faith gave me strength. I couldn’t give up. Not now. Not ever.

With renewed determination, we turned back towards the city. The journey was far from over, and the road ahead was fraught with danger and uncertainty. But together, we would face it. For our family, for our hope, we would keep searching, keep fighting, until we found them.

As we walked through the city, deep in thought and worry, a group of armored figures appeared from the shadows. They wore strange, intimidating armor and held fierce-looking dogs on chains. One of the men approached us, his voice gruff and commanding.

“Go back to your home,” he said, his tone rough and unyielding. “It’s not safe here. You’ll only get yourself killed.”

I looked up at him, defiance rising within me despite my fear. “I can’t,” I said firmly. “My family is out there somewhere. I have to find them.”

The man exchanged a glance with his companions, his expression unreadable behind the mask of his armor. “Stubborn, aren’t you?” he muttered, almost to himself. Then, louder, he said, “Very well. But be warned. This city is not forgiving. It preys on the weak and the lost.”

I nodded, my jaw set in determination. “I understand,” I replied, my voice steady. “But I won’t give up. Not until I find my family.”

The man regarded me for a long moment, as if weighing my words. Finally, he nodded once, a gesture of begrudging respect. “Very well, then. But remember what I said.”

With that, he signaled to his companions, and they disappeared back into the shadows from whence they came. Anaay clung to my side, his hand gripping mine tightly.

“Maya,” he whispered, his voice trembling with fear and hope. “Do you think they’re still out there? Do you think we’ll find them?”

I squeezed his hand reassuringly, though doubt gnawed at my heart. “Yes, Anaay,” I said firmly, willing myself to believe my own words. “We will find them. I promise.”

Together, Anaay and I continued our journey through the eerie, crimson-dotted city, our determination renewed by the encounter with the armored strangers. The road ahead was uncertain and perilous, but we would face it together. For our family, for our hope, we would keep searching, keep fighting, until we found them.