6

As Maya and Anaay joined the distressed family in their search, a sense of urgency gripped them. The father of the missing children, having appeared unwell from the start, suddenly collapsed without warning. Maya rushed to his side, her heart pounding with fear and uncertainty.

"He's burning up with fever," Maya observed, her voice trembling. "We have to get him somewhere safe."

Anaay and Maya helped the other family members support the unconscious man as they hurried through the eerie streets. Shadows seemed to lengthen around them, and the air felt thick with an oppressive silence. The children, still shaken but now reunited with their parents, clung tightly to their mother, their faces pale with dread.

As they hurried along, Maya noticed a pattern among the abandoned buildings and scattered debris. Dogs with unnaturally bright green eyes prowled in the shadows, their growls low and menacing. Instinctively, Maya realized these creatures were not normal—they were the ones responsible for the disappearances and the eerie transformations.

"These dogs," Maya whispered to Anaay, her voice barely audible. "They're not just attacking. They're infecting people."

Anaay's eyes widened in realization. "That's why everyone has gone missing," he murmured, his voice filled with horror.

They quickened their pace, avoiding the dogs' menacing glares. The infected victims they encountered along the way staggered mindlessly, their skin turning a sickly shade of green. Some moaned softly, while others lay still, their bodies already beginning to harden like stone.

"We have to find a way out of here," Anaay urged, his grip tightening on Maya's arm.

But just as they rounded a corner, a pack of dogs emerged from the shadows, their green eyes gleaming with malice. Maya's heart raced as they snarled and lunged forward, their intentions clear.

"Run!" Maya shouted, pushing Anaay and the family ahead of her.

They sprinted down the street, their footsteps echoing in the deserted city. Maya could feel the dogs' hot breath on her heels as they pursued relentlessly. Panic surged through her veins, but she focused on leading the group to safety.

Ahead, Maya spotted an old building with boarded-up windows. With a burst of adrenaline, she guided the family inside, slamming the door shut behind them. The dogs growled and scratched at the door, their fury reverberating through the wooden panels.

Inside the building, Maya and Anaay quickly barricaded the entrance with whatever furniture they could find. The children huddled together, their eyes wide with fear as their mother tended to their unconscious father.

"We can't stay here," Anaay said, his voice urgent. "We have to keep moving."

Maya nodded, her mind racing with thoughts of escape. "There must be a way out," she murmured, scanning the dimly lit room for any signs of a way forward.

As they searched, Maya's gaze fell upon a narrow staircase leading to the building's upper floors. Without hesitation, she motioned for the others to follow. They ascended quietly, mindful of every creak and groan of the old structure.

On the upper floor, they discovered a window overlooking a narrow alleyway. Maya peered through the dusty glass, her heart sinking at the sight of more dogs patrolling below.

"We can't go this way," Anaay whispered, his voice strained with worry.

But Maya's eyes caught sight of a fire escape ladder just beyond the window. With renewed determination, she pushed open the window and motioned for the others to follow her lead.

One by one, they descended the ladder, their movements careful and deliberate. The dogs below barked furiously, but Maya and Anaay led the family swiftly through the alley and into another deserted street.

"We have to find a way out of this city," Maya said firmly, her voice filled with resolve. "We can't let those dogs catch us."

Together, they continued their journey through the mysterious and perilous city, their minds racing with thoughts of survival and the hope of finding a way back to safety.