8

As Maya and Anaay huddled with the distressed family on the rooftop, the city below them plunged into darkness. The unsettling calm was shattered by a sudden commotion from within their refuge. The father, whose condition had worsened, thrashed violently, his eyes now a sickly shade of green matching those of the infected dogs.

"Anaay, watch out!" Maya shouted, her voice tinged with alarm.

Before they could react, the father lunged at Anaay with unexpected speed, his growls reverberating in the confined space. Anaay managed to dodge the initial attack, but the father's strength and ferocity were unnaturally enhanced. He clawed at Anaay with primal rage, teeth bared in a grotesque snarl.

"Help me!" Anaay yelled, struggling to fend off the frenzied assault.

Maya's mind raced, searching desperately for a way to stop the father without causing harm. Then, amidst the chaos, Maya noticed something peculiar—a faint glow emanating from the father's eyes. It was subtle yet unmistakable, a glimmer of otherworldly energy.

"Wait!" Maya exclaimed, her voice cutting through the panic. "There's something strange about him."

Anaay, momentarily distracted by Maya's revelation, narrowly avoided another swipe from the father. "What do you mean?" he gasped, parrying another attack.

"He's not just infected," Maya explained, her brow furrowed in concentration. "There's some kind of energy around him."

As Maya spoke, she noticed a faint, pulsating aura surrounding the father—a shimmering veil of light that seemed to fluctuate with his movements. It was unlike anything she had ever seen, a manifestation of unknown forces at play in the city's mysteries.

"We have to find out what's happening to him," Maya insisted, her voice tinged with urgency.

With Anaay's help, they managed to restrain the father, despite his relentless struggle. The family watched in horror as Maya cautiously approached, her hands trembling with apprehension. She studied the father's eyes, searching for clues amidst the swirling green glow.

And then, just as suddenly as it had begun, the father's aggression subsided. His eyes dimmed, the eerie green fading into a lifeless stare. He collapsed to the ground, his body now motionless.

"What happened?" Anaay asked, his voice hushed with disbelief.

Maya shook her head, her thoughts racing. "I'm not sure," she admitted, her gaze fixed on the father's still form. "But whatever it is, it's connected to those dogs and this city."

As they regrouped on the rooftop, Maya couldn't shake the feeling that they were on the brink of a profound discovery—one that held the key to understanding the city's dark secrets and, perhaps, finding a way to reunite with their lost family members.

"We need to keep moving," Maya said firmly, her resolve renewed. "There's more to uncover here. And we won't find answers sitting still."

With the family's silent agreement, they gathered their belongings and descended from the rooftop, leaving behind the eerie silence and the mysterious energy that had engulfed the father. As they ventured back into the labyrinthine streets, Maya led the way, her mind focused on unraveling the enigma that had brought them to this forsaken place.

Together, they navigated the city's perils with caution and determination, driven by the hope of finding their loved ones and uncovering the truth that lay hidden within the shadows.