Chapter 11: Expanded Horizons

You sit on the steps, watching the spectacular sunset once more. You know you will not have the chance to stay long enough, but you suspect that you would never get to the point where watching these two suns set over the sprawling ocean would be become commonplace. If anything, it has turned warmer over the last two days, and you have become accustomed to coming out onto the veranda in the early evening to benefit from the coolness of the breeze and watch for Loki's return. You don't know where he goes, or what he does; he merely says he has things to attend to. You surprised yourself at how easy you found this to accept.

After leaving the beach that first evening, Loki had taken you to a place further along the cliff where he said you would be able to stay. It seems he has become quite adept at identifying properties that would be suitable for his needs and vacant for the required period of time. Despite an underlying uneasiness of guilt – both about the events on your own planet and the imminent events of your temporary home - you could not deny that the past few days had been full of contentment for you. The 'beach hut', as Loki called it, was more of a sprawling cliff-side bungalow, beautifully and simply decorated and equipped with floor to ceiling windows offering a stunning view of the ocean. You and Loki had everything you needed – shelter, clothing, food and comforts. You spent the days ambling along the beach, swimming in the mild sea and investigating the house. There were many books which, with the help of a translator, you could read, telling you more about Xandar and the universe beyond. Loki would come back in the early evening and you would eat together, spending the remainder of the day together in any way you chose.

Tonight, you had prepared the food. It had taken you a little while to get used to the different vegetables and meats on offer, but you had always enjoyed cooking when you had the time. You had reflected on the absurdity of the concept that you now had both no time, and all the time. It was a simple meal – rice, vegetables, some fried meat – but it smelled delicious.

As you stand at the counter, spooning the meat and vegetable concoction into bowls, a touch round your waist makes you jump. Loki has come into the house silently and stands behind you, wrapping his arms around your waist and kissing your neck.

"A kitten should be more alert," he teases, as you turn to him. You hand him a bowl and you sit and eat together at the small table by the windows, gazing out to sea.

"I intend to return to the city tonight. Will you come?" he asks. This is a surprise. You have been so very happy just here at the beach, but you begin to feel quite excited at the prospect of experiencing more of this strange new planet.

"Is it safe?" you question.

"You're always safe with me, Kitten," he assures you with a smile. Then his expression changes. "Unless you think that perhaps I, myself, represent the danger," he says, leaning over you in a predatory manner, a hunger and a spark in his eyes. "We could just stay here of course..."

"No, Loki," you giggle, pushing him away playfully. "Take me with you. I want to see!"
"Very well, Let's find you something to wear."

You have noticed that, when Loki goes out, he chooses clothes from the house you are staying in, fitting in with the local customs, fashions and styles. Although, somehow, he always seems to be wearing mostly black and green and his clothes always fit him beautifully. You go inside together, looking through the clothes in the cupboards. You try to push out of your head the discomfort in rifling through someone else's belongings, and the underlying knowledge that, whoever they are, they will not be needing these clothes again. 

"Ah," says Loki, "perfect." He pulls out a long, olive green garment and hands it to you. It seems to be a cross between a long dress and a pinafore, made of a soft fabric like thick cotton or linen. It has wide straps and a square neckline. There are no zips or buttons, but Loki helps to wrap the straps so that they fit securely under your bust and around your waist. It reaches almost to the floor but has long slits down both sides, reaching high up on your thighs. You raise your eyebrow, looking at Loki. He merely shrugs. "Fashion," he states, grinning. "Who am I to argue? Find yourself some sandals. And a shawl."