Civil War - Part 2

I could only watch helplessly as my parents were escorted into the back of a van and were driven away. "You're making a mistake." Korra told our uncle.

"I wish it hadn't come to this." Uncle Unalaq said. "But your parents held meetings with the rebels, right here in their home."

"I can't believe you're doing this to your own family."

"Rest assured, I've appointed Judge Hotah to oversee the trial. He is the most fair and honourable man I know."

"I would feel more comfortable with a judge from another nation to oversee the trial." I spoke up. "And besides, Mum and Dad did nothing wrong! They had nothing to do with those who attacked you."

"I'm sure you're right." Uncle Unalaq assured. "So we should have nothing to worry about."

"I hope so..." Korra muttered.

Holding my arms against myself, I stood to the side and watched my parents nervously

Holding my arms against myself, I stood to the side and watched my parents nervously. I felt an arm weave in between mine and wiggle their fingers to lock with mine. I turned to the side and saw Asami giving me a gentle smile. "I'm here." She assured softly.

"Thank you, Asami." I muttered, leaning into her and holding her arm.

"This trial will now come to order!" A law clerk called. "Judge Hotah presiding." The serious Northern Tribe man sat down at the head of the table. The trial went on, until Uncle Unalaq stepped forward to give testimony.

"I was asleep in my chambers when the rebels attacked." He explained. "They overpowered me, and the next thing I remember was waking up in the snow after my niece, Korra, had saved me." Uncle Unalaq stepped aside and Korra took his spot.

"According to Unalaq's testimony, you attended a meeting where Varrick tried to incite a civil war." Judge Hotah spoke up. "Is that true?"

"Yes." Korra replied.

"And were these men present at that meeting?"

"Well, yes, but-"

"And where exactly did this meeting take place?"

"Objection!" Bolin protested from the pews, standing.

"Quiet down out there!" Bolin sat down as Judge Hotah turned back to Korra. "I'll ask you one more time. Where did the meeting happen?"

"My parents' house." Korra responded.

"And who lead this meeting?"

"Your Honour, if I may-" Bolin started, standing once more.

"May what?"

"May I...declare a mistrial?"

"Sit down!" Bolin plopped back down in his seat. "Varrick and your father led the meeting, didn't they?"

"My parents are innocent!" Korra cried.

"I've heard all I need to. I'll return shortly with my decision." Judge Hotah stood and walked off. Korra turned to me and we shared a concerned look.