Chapter 9

Half the knights escorted the two teens safely back to the city while Jean and the rest stayed to secure the area. Bowser requested to stay at the scene, but the group unanimously declined that request as expected. So, he was stuck stomping lazily beside a giddy Bennett and Fischl, receiving their own therapeutic horseback rides each. Of course, he didn't get one for obvious reasons — he was always too big and heavy for any kind of steed.

They parted ways once they arrived at the city gates. Bennett tried to schedule another “hangout” with him but was dragged away by the knights before Bowser could agree to anything. It was getting dark after all, which is also why Bowser was advised to immediately return to the cathedral and rest.

But he didn’t. Why would he? He felt more energized than ever.

Once the knights were out of view, he dashed straight to the Favonius Library. And luckily for him, it seemed that an assistant was taking Lisa’s place today.

He browsed the many shelves and slipped into his arms a variety of books. Books on weaponry, domains, visions, artifacts and materials, any topic that seemed it would be relevant to know. He was done being aimless.

But his rush to be there had nothing to do with those trivial, humanly subjects. It was something that, after scanning shelf after shelf to find no such book on it, didn't seem like just anyone was allowed to read on.

“Hey,” Bowser approached the phoney librarian.

She raised her head from her arms with an irritated expression, disturbed from her nap. “Can I help y- Oh Archons!”

She flinched upon opening her eyes, seeing the impatient Koopa and his impatient, tapping claws on top of her documents.

Bowser cleared his throat. “Do you happen to have any books about… How do I say this?”

“Woah, slow down man you gave me a heart attack!” She choked between heavy breaths. “Whatever you're looking for, I'm sure royalty like you can find it better than i ever could. The back's all yours.”

Bowser was *not* fond of her condescending tone, but there was some truth despite her sarcasm. Why yes, he can find it better himself — It's better than if he were to involve her, even. Mondstadt's sloth assisted him once again.

He squeezed behind the front desk and into the cramped room behind, previously inaccessible bookshelves now unlocked. As carefully and as un-suspiciously as he could, he started skimming through the covers.

Dismay grew larger the deeper he searched; none of these new books seem any more different than the ones for the public. Maybe a few unreleased titles and some fancy academic textbooks, but none whose scope is bigger than general. The only uniqueness they had was that they're all hardcover, which made sense to not be widely available for borrowing.

He started exploring the top shelves, a level most humans wouldn't be able to reach without a ladder. If any forbidden topic were to be hidden, it would be right here. He scanned the titles: Hilichurl Ballads IV, The Dandelion The Witch and The Wardrobe, The Boar Princess: Collectors Edition, Best Nursery Rhymes for Kindergarteners, That damn fox lady story agai-

Wait, who the hell makes a hardcover book for nursery rhymes?

He swiped the peculiar book off the shelf, almost chuckling to himself at the ridiculousness. What? Does this world have premium children songs? You have to pay an extra fee to sing Ring Around the Rosies? How humorous and totally in line with human gree-

Bowser choked and suppressed a gasp, one that would've definitely incinerated the book in his hands.

“The Abyss Realm” is what the title page of the book said, disguised underneath the deceiving hardcover. He skimmed through the other pages; long texts consisting of paragraphs upon paragraphs exposing the true nature of the book.