Nicholas

I knew I fucked up bad when I saw her sleeping in the guest room. 

So, here I am trying to lay beside her as discretely as I can. 

Finally, slipping under the blanket, I turn towards her. Her back is facing me, her soft curls splayed out as she breathes steadily in her sleep.

Her petite figure is curled up in the queen-sized bed, trying to take up as little space as possible. I softly run my fingers through her hair, and her breathing hitches slightly, but she does not wake up, much to my relief.

She's the anchor that keeps me grounded and my lifeline in this treacherous world of chaos and danger. I can't imagine a life without Luciana. And I know I have hurt her and made promises I might not be able to keep. It is a strange feeling-wanting someone so badly that it scares. 

It wasn't supposed to be like this, especially when I am supposed to be the boss of the American mafia. I am used to having control in every situation, but Luciana brings out a different side of me, a side that craves her love and affection.

She has a way of getting under my skin, invading every inch of my being until I can't imagine my life without her. Her warmth is like a drug, addictive and uncontrollable that I don't want to leave, I can't leave.

I can't help but feel that I am on thin ice, trying to balance a dangerous world while also nurturing my relationship with Luciana. And now as I watch her, sleeping so peacefully, I wonder what it is about her that draws me in like a moth to a flame, ready to burn in the fire knowing it would hurt but also knowing it'll also provide warmth, warmth to my cold world, light to my darkness, and heat to my passion.

She has awakened the beast in me not that I wasn't one earlier, but this one craves her more and more each passing moment. And now that she has done it, she has to endure that beast for the rest of her life. I know I don't deserve her but I am taking her anyway---

"Are you done?" 

A sweet whisper pulled me out of my thoughts. I look at her with confusion as I try to comprehend the meaning behind her words. 

No wait, she is awake?

I glance at her, surprised. She is staring at me with those grey eyes that hold so much power over me. My heart inches up to my throat, and my hands clench into fists as I see her expression, blank.

"You were staring"

"I was admiring," I reply, my voice low as my fingers continue to run through her hair.

She rolls over to face me, her eyes locking on mine, eyes that don't have a single emotion in them. 

I hate it when she looks at me like that, unreadable and far away, like she's closed a door between us that I may never be able to open again.

"Were you admiring me or my body?" she asks, her voice barely above a whisper but full of so much fire it would put any inferno to shame and regret. She leans in closer, her honeyed breath brushing against my cheek. "Because I know which one you prefer."

She pushes herself up onto her elbow, the blanket slipping down to reveal her bare shoulder.

I can't help but follow the movement, my gaze lingering on her collarbone before trailing down to her chest. My mouth goes dry as I take in the sight of her, naked and vulnerable in front of me.

"Love," I whisper, my voice filled with regret. She leans in closer, her lips brushing against my ear as she whispers, "You know what I prefer, Nik."