Chapter 5

The incubation period has changed a little since the time before. Females would often either risk starving or go out and get food. Leaving the eggs unattended. This is why Mermaids will choose spots that are hidden and away from the eyes of those who wish to consume the eggs during this time.

Nowadays Merfolk work together to bring more guppies to maturity.

Kotoha would usually watch her eggs, her hands trailing the delicate membrane that protects the guppies that will soon come to hatch.

She would hum before letting her voice be heard. It was dangerous before to be so active with sound, potentially exposing the location of eggs or newly vulnerable guppies.

Kotoha however never had to worry about such things because her eggs and soon children will always have eyes upon them.

Kyojuro intensely watches the eggs, fascinated by the colors that were before him. The eggs reminded him of the colors of coral, so pretty and many he would want to collect if they weren't alive.

 The eggs reminded him of the colors of coral, so pretty and many he would want to collect if they weren't alive

His tail swishes behind him to keep him from drifting too far from the eggs.

He was a curious merman. His father and previous forefathers were the first of mermen to stay with their partners. It was why his bloodline was so strong with their sunset hair often staying through the generations. Kyojuro would bet a day's worth of tiger prawn on the color of his guppies. Though he would like to see his mate's colors come through.

For now, it was his turn to watch the eggs till his mates returned from getting food.

Kokushibo was always close, even when it wasn't his turn to watch the eggs. Nakime was quiet and yet straightforward with how she requested things.

Often times it was for him to go on a small task to gather something they needed for the nest like a better-fitting rock or kelp.

Kokushibo would do as he is told without question and often come back with a snack for his mate to have. It would be well appreciated if he was gone too long but other times she would break the food in half so he can have some.