Chapter 2

The new courtship of a merman in recent generations is to take after the pufferfish. A merman would find the perfect patch of sand, gather supplies they believe are best, and arrange them to entice the mermaid (or the merman that they thought interesting).

This is why Akaza thought it a bit baffling and utterly confusing that Douma dares tries this season.

"Oh, Akaza! Have you come to see my display? Interested?" Douma grins his way but Akaza tenses up and snarls at him

"Oh, Akaza! Have you come to see my display? Interested?" Douma grins his way but Akaza tenses up and snarls at him. Douma laughs, slowing his approach to the merman before him.

"Is Kokushibo here as well?" Douma looks around, his colorful eyes already twinkling. The three had come from the same region and Douma would be thrilled to see his report.

"You know he much prefers to hunt the sharks that hang around the entrance of the bay. He wouldn't take as much time as you to claim a female." Douma grins and in the dim light that filtered through the water, his eyes reflect light. Akaza's eyes are much the same, the gold gaining silver.

"But Akaza, why wait to have guppies when we have such lovely females that are begging for someone worthy enough to be with them?" Douma's eyes trail off in the distance where lights are flickering. Mermen already have a light show to catch the interest of a mermaid.

"Ugh, do what you want, just leave me out of this." The merman swims away, leaving the other to his own devices.

There were pretty displays of lights as the group of mermaids passed the males. Many who had come late were either still setting up or didn't care for how their ring of sand looked. Some mermaids would stop and examine the contents of the sand ring.

If many shells and seaweed had been collected then that can show off how well they can gather resources. Others would go hunting and have some fish in the center to show they can provide. Sometimes, Mermaids will observe the mermen to see their scars. If they are tattered then may will leave, knowing that others could easily outmaneuver them.

Then there were the colors. A show of good genetics and a way to attract the females.

The biggest turn-off for any mermaid is the desperate like Kentaro. Kotoha knows he has tried and will keep trying till his last mating season.

For now, it was time to scroll.

Akaza lied when he wanted to be left out of this. This season he was seeking two merfolk that had caught his interest. Though he doesn't know if he would be accepted.

He isn't going to be following the new tradition by doing his next actions. Though he would certainly be better than the mermen who wanted the older traditions.

His sand ring is complete!

With a flick of his bright tail, Kyojuro is able to swim back to admire his ring. He had collected some fish , seaweed and shells. He had a spa day with Tengen to get rid of dead skin from his scales. His scales are like that of the sun when it sets up above and rises again for a new day.

Kyojuro tries his best to see in the dark waters as lights go off, flickering his light once, before settling as he waits.

Hopefully, he swims by.

Koyuki was looking at the displays hoping to find a familiar pink and blue scale tail. However, all she sees are the displays of colorful or those who want a harem.

Perhaps all she needs to do is go searching on her own.

Kotoha's group was becoming smaller.

First would be Kanae who had spotted Sanemi with a pile of fish and mild green lights going off when she approached. Kotoha knew they were a wonderful match since a few seasons ago. The only reason now was the time was Sanemi's brother could survive without him.

Without the problem of sirens.

Kotoha puts the thought at the back of her mind.

Next was Mitsuri, who found Obanai in the corals. The smaller male was aggressive to many but not to her. Mitsuri was much brighter than him but Kotoha knows they will be just fine.

Daki would leave, once again not impressed by what she was seeing, and was going to join her brother who was hunting sharks with other merfolk that care not to mate. Gyutaro with unfortunate markings on his face wasn't all that popular with the mermaids so he was often hunting. Kotoha does see him scare off males who weren't worth his sister's time.

Koyuki would leave though Kotoha doesn't know where to.

Shinobu would smile and wish her luck and be careful. Shinobu would swim to a seaweed bed and Kotoha would spot the dark blue scales of the lonely Giyuu. He would greet her with a dark blue light before going deeper into the seaweed. Shinobu went in with a smile.

Kotoha went on, swimming slowly. She can already see the pairs of merfolk that are swimming off to bond more. The lights were dying down as many left. A lot were still searching.

One group of mermaids had formed around one and Kotoha was curious to see who it was.

She would float her way over and find just who it was.

Scales that reflect colorful shimmer in the center and his hair matching his tail fins. The top of his hair had this crimson top but it only drew her eyes to his rainbow eyes.

Douma was his name and he was waving to the mermaids and a stray male.

"Gomen, gomen. I am sure others would love to have you." Douma smiles and he has crescents eyes when he opens them to see Kotoha.

A twinkle comes to his eyes and before she knew it, the much longer male had swam up to her and stopped short. A light glow of gold came from his hair along with red from where his hair was crimson.

Kotoha couldn't believe it.

She had been chosen by the most desired merman in the bay.

Now she just has to accept him in return.