Chapter 9

It had been many nights since they'd ventured through the Silver Door, the Alv woman's faelight and their fellowship their own source of reassurance. Within the throat of the winding tunnels, ancient spirits wavered in the knights' peripherals, jolting them from sleep with fearful eyes and wild commotions of blades swinging on empty air. Their rations and supplies were dwindling. Even the small gifts of mint from the mysterious power of the faelight weren't helping to dissolve the hunger that taunted the slimming faces of the King and his knights. Time was different Beneath; the darkness demanded more than what they'd bargained for, separating them from their humanity.

Alas, this would not be their end, for the tunnel soon opened up to a magnificent cavern, stalactites infused with bioluminescence illuminating the ancient fae-rune carvings and paintings of primeval flourishes. Pillars of sea-green gemstone indicated the cavern's implicit value. Rune markings chiseled into the limestone wall were nearly indecipherable, yet the orb cascaded the message in faelight, and a Light Shadow of the markings hovered above the rock, Njal's voice echoing Leoric's thoughts, "The Temple of the Ratnaraj."

There was an ancient power that lurked beneath the limestone, the orb burning brighter because of it, pulsing brighter and reflecting faelight higher into the cavern's darkness. Marble stairs climbed into the chamber, passing under the Temple markings. But before the King pursued ahead, Sir Baard stopped him. "My Lord, take a look at these hashes in the stone." The older knight's worn fingers traced distinct sword slashes.

"There's more." Sir Njal had stooped down to analyze scuffles across the floor.

"Not of our make," Sir Baard concluded, his light green eyes narrowing.

"Sire." The King and his knights turned to spot Sir Amund, his eyes wide with fear as he pointed upward. "Something did that." Indeed, decaying bodies of fur-armored men hung like limp dolls, suffocated by the thick vines that swallowed them. It was gruesome to witness, especially the dismembered figures, missing limbs and necks distorted with bones prodding through the skin.

Leoric's jaw tightened, drawing his sword. "Be on your guard." Then, he proceeded to venture up the marble staircase, his knights keeping their weapons close as they flanked him.

The ascension halted at a clear pool at the peak of the chamber, its island hovering above everything. The suspension held the Four, but they were cautious. One small misstep would plummet them to their deaths. At the center of the pool was a painstakingly beautiful case, with a glass-like exterior and a clouded interior, preventing the Four from seeing the gem inside. "Fae Diamond," Amund whispered in awe. "The most precious substance of the Realms." He knelt before the pool, unable to keep himself upright. Tears slid down his face, his voice wobbling, "I never dreamed I'd get to experience this in my lifetime." As he bowed his head in respect of the Case, a tear plunked into the pool, ripples cascading over the surface.

Suddenly, an earth-rattling boom shook the cavern, and a gigantic figure rose from below to tower above the floating island, its massive torso and shoulders filling the vision of the Four, their necks craning to catch a glimpse of its face. WHO DARES DISTURB MY REALM? The tremor of the creature's voice vibrated through the King and knights, yet did not disturb the Pool's surface unlike Amund's tears. Baard's eyes widened with fear, his voice, although drowned out by the beast, still audible.

"It is Kjempen Fare, the Troll that guards this Temple!" He met Njal's hardened gaze and watched the flicker of shared fear dissipate from his complexion. "Sire, it is impossible to defeat him!"

"Patience, Sir Baard. Njal." Leoric nodded at the platinum blond knight whose hands tightened on his sword. "Sheathe your weapons."

Although terrified to be without protection, the knights obeyed. Leoric straightened his back and answered the Troll, keeping his voice confident and steady, "I am Leoric Edmund Einarsson, King of the Einarsson Kingdom. These are my knights: Sir Baard, Sir Njal, and Sir Amund." Amund rose from his position before the Pool, sheathing his sword and gazing with wonder at the Troll.