Chapter 5: Theory

Season 1, Episode 6

Angela bursts into Serena's office, "Come on, you are coming to the club with Brennan and I."

"I can't, I've got a date," Serena tell her.

"A date? Really? Who's the guy?" Angela asks, sitting on the couch.

"No one you know. It's a first date so it's not all that serious. Go get Brennan and have fun. I'll see you tomorrow, and don't worry, I'll tell you all the details," Serena smiles, hanging up her lab coat in favor of her normal coat.

Smiling back, Angela hugs Serena goodbye, "You better. We'll get coffee in the morning and you can dish all the dirty details."

Shouting after her, Serena shakes her head, "I didn't say they'd be dirty!"

"What wouldn't be dirty?" Zack asks, scaring the crap out of Serena.

She turns, finding Jack and Zack standing there, "Details about my date tonight. Speaking of which, I've got to go."

"Whoa, whoa," Jack stops her, "You've got a date? When do we get to meet this guy?"

"If I don't get to this date, never. Even then, probably never," Serena says, leaving, "See you both tomorrow!"

⌻⌻⌻⌻

Sitting in the restaurant, Serena lazily sips her drink as her date, Brian, talks about his job in accounting, "So I said, get me those tax returns and nobody gets hurt!" He laughs as Serena fake laughs.

"Haha, so funny," She gestures for another drink to the waiter.

He gives her an apologetic smile before whispering to her, "This one's on the house."

"Thank you," She whispers back, "So, Brian," She refocuses on her date, "Do you have anything you like to do for fun?"

"Oh, yeah, I love making random spreadsheets about different subjects. How many times the word above is mentioned in an article, what the most common color in a bag of M&M's, that sort of thing," Brian smiles, "Enough about my exciting life, what do you do?"

Serena sits up a little straighter, "I'm a botanist and computer analyst at the Jeffersonian Institute. I work with the FBI to solve murders."

Brian grimaces, "You work around dead people? Sounds kind of gross, doesn't it?"

"I wouldn't say solving murders is gross. Besides, I mostly look at particulates and online activity."

"Oh, well, I could never do such a terrible job. I mean, all that death, it's got to make your life the most depressing thing ever," He shakes his head, "No ma'am, not for me."

Serena has never been more thankful for her phone to ring, "If you'll excuse me, I've got to take this. It's my brother," Getting up from the table, she steps outside, "Please tell me you have a case and need me to come in."

"Wow, it's wrong that you're so hopeful for a case."

"Seeley, if you were on this date, you would be to."

"You're on a date? When can I meet this guy?"

"Never, I am never seeing him again. So, do you need me to come in?"

"Yeah, Angela and Bones found a mummy in the club."

"Damn, I should've gone with them instead of on this date."

⌻⌻⌻⌻

Jack tells Brennan, Angela and Serena, "Crystal meth is made from cold medicine, lye and the strike pads from matchbooks. The body was not designed to deal with that kind of assault."