In Leah's light

*The next day*

Today were the final preparations for the match against City tomorrow. City were a serious first opponent with lots of great players. The match is a 100% going to be though but I know the girls will fight for the win.

I had spent the morning tending to the players, making sure they were as fit and ready as they could be, given our unfortunate injury list. Katie, Viv, and Beth were all sidelined, and their absence loomed large over today's game against Manchester City.

The Emirates Stadium was buzzing with anticipation as kick-off approached. I took my place on the bench, medical bag at the ready, and watched as the teams lined up. From the first whistle, Manchester City asserted their dominance with a high-pressing game. Our defenders were immediately put under intense pressure.City's forward line created early chances. In the 7th minute, Kelly sent a dangerous cross into the box. Shaw met it with a powerful header, but Manu reacted quickly, making a crucial save to keep us level. I exchanged a relieved glance with our coaching staff, knowing how close we'd come to an early setback.

The team struggled to maintain possession against City's relentless pressing. In the 15th minute, our worst fears materialized. Shaw intercepted a loose pass in midfield, played a quick one-two with Kelly, and unleashed a precise shot from the edge of the box. The ball flew past Manu into the top corner, and City was up 1-0. I could see the frustration on the players' faces, but there was still plenty of time to turn things around.

Despite the early setback, we started to find our footing. Kim and Lia began to assert themselves in midfield, trying to link up with our forward line. In the 28th minute, Frida broke free down the right wing and delivered a low cross into the box. Stina managed to get a shot off, but Keating made a fine save.

The remainder of the first half saw City continue to dominate possession, but our defense held firm, preventing further damage. At halftime, I worked quickly, checking on the players and providing treatments where needed. Leah was nursing a minor knock, but she assured me she was fine to continue.

The second half began with us showing more urgency and aggression. Jonas made a tactical adjustment, pushing Leah into a more advanced midfield role to support the attack. This change immediately gave us more control in the midfield.

In the 52nd minute, we came close to equalizing. Lia dribbled past two City defenders and unleashed a powerful shot from just outside the box. Keating was at full stretch to tip the ball over the bar, denying us a much-needed goal. I felt a mix of frustration and hope; we were getting closer.

City responded with counter-attacks, but our defense stood strong. In the 65th minute, City nearly doubled their lead when Hemp cut inside from the left and curled a shot towards the far post. Manu pulled off a spectacular save to keep us in the game. My heart was in my throat with every City attack, but Manu was magnificent.

As the match progressed, we increased the pressure. In the 70th minute, a corner from Frida found its way to Leah, who directed a header towards goal. The ball looked destined to equalize, but Keating made another crucial save, pushing it wide.

City began to sit back, defending their slim lead. We continued to push forward, with Caitlin trying to create openings down the flanks. In the 80th minute, Caitlin sent a dangerous cross into the six-yard box, but no Arsenal player could get the decisive touch. Time was running out, and the tension was palpable.

The final ten minutes saw us camped in City's half, desperately searching for an equalizer. In the 88th minute, a free-kick from Kim found its way through a crowded box to Stina, who headed it inches over the bar. It was a close call, but City's defense held firm.