chapter 12

Roxanne pov

As the sun began to rise, casting a gentle glow over the forest, I sstirred awake. I found myself nestled in my mother’s warm embrace, feeling a deep sense of comfort and safety. The events of the previous day played in my mind, filling me with a mix of determination and anticipation.

I gently extricated myself from my mother’s arms and stood up, stretching to shake off the remnants of sleep. I noticed Hope already awake, standing guard and scanning the surroundings with a vigilant eye.

"Morning," I  greeted softly, moving to sit beside my friend. "Any sign of trouble?"

Hope shook her head, a small smile playing on her lips. "All quiet. It's a beautiful morning. Perfect for making progress."

I nodded, feeling a surge of excitement. "We need to keep moving. The sooner we find the moonstone, the better."

As the rest of our small group began to stir, I  took a moment to enjoy the calm before the day's journey. My mother and Hope joined me for a quick breakfast of foraged berries and dried meat which was amazing since this was my first time having dried meat. As we ate, we  discussed our next steps.

"We'll need to head towards the old ruins," mother explained, pointing to a rough map she had drawn in the dirt. "It's said that the moonstone was hidden there after the great war. We should start our search there."

I studied the map, committing the route to memory. "What can we expect at the ruins? Any dangers we should be aware of?"

My mother’s expression grew serious. "The ruins are ancient and filled with traps designed to protect the moonstone. We'll need to be careful and rely on our instincts. There may also be other creatures or beings drawn to the power of the stone."

Hope nodded in agreement. "We’ll need to stay alert. But we can handle it."

With our plan in place, we set off, moving deeper into the forest. As they walked, I  felt a growing sense of unity and purpose. I had my mother, Hope, and the thought of Willa waiting for me return. It gave me strength.

By midday, we  reached the outskirts of the ruins. The ancient structures were overgrown with vines, their once-grand architecture now crumbling and weathered by time. Despite the decay, there was an undeniable aura of power emanating from the place.

I  took a deep breath, ready to face whatever lay ahead. "This is it," I said, looking to my mother and Hope. "Let’s find that moonstone."

We carefully navigated the ruins, stepping over broken stones and avoiding suspicious-looking patches of ground. As we delved deeper, we encountered various traps and puzzles, each one testing our wits and abilities. Working together, we managed to overcome each obstacle, our bond strengthening with every challenge we faced.

At one point, I found myself standing before a particularly intricate puzzle. It involved aligning a series of symbols, each one corresponding to a phase of the moon. I hesitated, unsure of the solution.

My mother placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Trust your instincts, Roxanne. You have the knowledge within you."

Taking a deep breath, I  focused on the symbols, allowing my intuition to guide me. Slowly but surely, I aligned them in the correct order. With a final click, the puzzle unlocked, revealing a hidden passageway.

As we descended into the passage, the air grew cooler, and a faint glow illuminated our path. I could feel the power of the moonstone growing stronger. We were close.

Finally, we  reached a grand chamber. At its center, on a pedestal bathed in silvery light, rested the moonstone. It was breathtakingly beautiful, radiating a soft, ethereal glow.

I stepped forward, my heart pounding with anticipation. "We found it," I  whispered, reaching out to touch the stone. As my fingers brushed against it, a surge of energy flowed through me, filling her with a sense of power and clarity.

My mother and Hope stood beside me, their eyes wide with awe. "Now we must protect it and get it back to Seabrook," my mother said firmly. "And recharge the necklaces."

Before I could respond, a sudden noise echoed through the chamber. We  turned to see a group of shadowy figures emerging from the darkness, their intentions unmistakably hostile.

"Intruders," one of them hissed. "The moonstone belongs to us."

I  felt a surge of adrenaline. "We won’t let you take it," I declared, positioning myself protectively in front of the moonstone.

Hope and my mother joined me, ready to defend our moonstone. The air crackled with tension as the two groups faced off, each one determined to claim the power of the moonstone.

The battle for the moonstone had begun, and I  knew that this was just the beginning of our  journey. Together, we would fight to protect their legacy and forge a future where our pack could thrive.