08 | Shattered Trust

I sat with Mia, the weight of my emotions heavy on my chest as I poured out the events of the past few days. Mia listened intently, her eyes widening with each revelation.

"So, let me get this straight," Mia said, leaning in closer. "You and Xander...?"

I nodded, feeling a mix of excitement and uncertainty swirling inside me. "Yeah, it's been... intense."

Before Mia could respond, the door swung open, and Xander strode in, his presence filling the room with a strange mix of comfort and tension. Without a word, he crossed over to me, his lips meeting mine in a soft, reassuring kiss.

"Hey, Baby," he said, his voice warm as he took a seat beside me. "Sorry I'm late."

Mia's eyes darted between us, a knowing smile playing at her lips. "No worries, Xander. We were just catching up."

As we settled into conversation, Xander mentioned Big Ben's upcoming birthday party at his beach house, extending an invitation to both Mia and me. Despite the turmoil in my heart, I couldn't help but feel a flicker of excitement at the prospect of spending more time with Xander, even amidst the uncertainty.

We talked about the upcoming quarterfinal match and our impending final exams, the weight of our responsibilities momentarily forgotten in the warmth of each other's company. But beneath the surface, doubts lingered, waiting to resurface at the slightest provocation.

-----

The night of the beach house party arrived, the air thick with anticipation and excitement. Xander and I exchanged warm wishes with Big Ben on his birthday, surrounded by a crowd of enthusiastic party-goers. Among them, of course, was Ellie Camden, her presence casting a shadow over the festivities.

It felt uncomfortable, to say the least, watching Ellie cling to Xander, oblivious to my presence and his reluctance to brush her off completely. I glanced around, seeking solace in familiar faces, and spotted Mia and Woody engaged in lively conversation, their laughter ringing out above the music. At least my best friend was having fun.

But as the night wore on and the drinks flowed freely, a wave of nausea washed over me, my discomfort growing with each passing moment. I excused myself to use the washroom, declining Xander's offer to accompany me as his teammates clamored for his attention.

Alone in the dimly lit hallway, I felt a sense of unease gnawing at my insides. Something didn't feel right, but I pushed aside my doubts and made my way back to the party. Yet, when I returned, Xander was nowhere to be found.

Frantically, I searched through the crowded rooms, my heart pounding with a mixture of fear and uncertainty. And then, in a dark corner of the house, I saw him - Xander, with Ellie, her lips dangerously close to his.

Shock and betrayal coursed through me like a tidal wave, leaving me reeling and utterly shattered. Without a word, I turned and fled, tears blurring my vision as I stumbled out into the night.

Outside, I summoned an Uber, desperate to escape the suffocating weight of the betrayal that threatened to crush me. Xander followed, his voice pleading and explanations tumbling from his lips.

"Baby, wait!" Xander's voice echoed behind me as I hurried down the darkened street.

I stopped, my heart pounding in my chest, but I couldn't bring myself to face him, not after what I had seen. "What, Xander? What could you possibly say to explain this? Oh wait, there's nothing to explain. We had sex once, you took my virginity and maybe it's time for you to dumb me. We're not even a couple. I don't even know what we are anymore ".

He reached out, his hand hovering hesitantly in the air before dropping to his side. "It's not what you think, Brielle. Please, just let me explain."

I shook my head, tears streaming down my cheeks. "I don't want to hear it, Xander. You promised me that you wouldn't make me regret it, and yet..."

"Brielle, please," he pleaded, his voice cracking with emotion. "I swear, there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for all of this. Just give me a chance to explain."

But I couldn't. Not now, maybe not ever. With a heavy heart, I turned away, disappearing into the night as the sound of Xander's desperate pleas faded into the distance.