Chapter 29

It had been a long time since the craftsmen who made it had passed away, their skills returning to the earth with them.

Initially crafted from copper, the sculpture had taken on a turquoise hue over the years as it oxidized.

Aran lifted his gaze to the jewelry adorning the deer's forehead.

He reached out, and the purple gem slipped from its setting, hovering in the air before landing in his palm.

The first time he held it, the gem was larger than his fist.

But with each subsequent glance, it seemed to diminish in size until it was about the size of a gold coin.

The gem was hard, resistant to his efforts to stop its shrinking.

Despite his attempts, the mineral persisted, unaffected by the passage of time.

Minerals don't dissolve in air and disappear.

He tried various methods to stop the gem from getting smaller.

He attempted various methods to halt its diminishing size, including submerging it in water, freezing it, and sealing it with a magical membrane.

But nothing worked.

If the gem continued to shrink, it would eventually vanish without a trace.

Aran had a strong suspicion that the gem was linked to his curse, containing some mysterious power he couldn't comprehend or access.

At this rate, it seemed the gem would disappear before he could unlock its secrets.

"What if it's not me coming here, but you calling me here?"

'Is this really what's calling her?'

She claimed to chant to arrive here.

Which way?

Was she coming, or was she being called?

He didn't know yet.

There wasn't enough data to draw a conclusion.

He lifted the purple gem with his fingers, bringing it closer to his eyes.

'They look alike.'

The reddish-purple gem resembled the color of her eyes.

***

"Your Majesty!"

At the appointed time, Count Gale Limazov burst into the Emperor's office with a determined stride.

"I've heard that someone dared to trespass on Your Majesty's grounds during the night! Your Majesty, I beg you to reconsider. The imperial guard must be reinforced."

"Try it."

"Y... Yes?"

Gale looked up.

The Emperor, seated at his desk, was not even looking at him.

His jaw was set, his gaze fixed straight ahead.

"Do it. Go ahead."

Gale's eyes glazed over, unable to comprehend the situation.

He had run away from home in his early teens, seeking an end to his sense of aimlessness.

Challenging the strongest men in the world, he had become unbeatable by his early twenties.

But when he faced the Emperor, his youthful vigor and confidence faltered in the face of an opponent he had never anticipated.

From that day forward, the object of his youthful obsession with the sword changed.