Chapter 40

The empire had no safety net for the emperor's absence.

The only member of the imperial family was the emperor himself.

Unmarried, childless, and without a court, he had no political factions actively supporting him.

The duchies were divided into royalist and noble factions, fighting fictitious battles, but no true support existed.

The mages did support him, but that wasn't the same as political backing.

Technically, mages were not subjects.

Without the emperor, the Empire would fall apart in an instant.

Many nobles commanded powerful private armies, and the twelve neighboring duchies would not stand idly by if the empire fell into chaos.

A maelstrom of war would sweep across the land.

"His Majesty needs to communicate. That's politics. Yet, he meets with only a minimal number of officials and keeps his distance from the nobility. Do you know when the last banquet was held in the imperial palace?"

After a lengthy lecture from his father, Gale was finally released.

He sighed heavily during the carriage ride home.

'I don't understand what you're saying, Father.'

Gale wasn't foolish, despite appearances.

Swordsmanship is a strategy.

You can't fight properly if you're ignorant.

'Communication is pointless. The Emperor doesn't care about assassins who want his head.'

The emperor doesn't care about the empire.

That was Gale's conclusion after years at the imperial palace.

Thus, Gale adhered to the Emperor's directive to apprehend the assassins, often losing sleep over it.

He hoped it might mark the beginning of some change.

***

Aran was troubled by the painting of Frea's face.

When he'd instructed the artist to paint her face alone, he'd had a plan.

'I was going to make hundreds of copies of this portrait in ancient times and scatter them around.'

He was going to put a huge bounty on her head.

But when he received the painting, he changed his mind.

'At least... I'm not treating her like a criminal.'

To spread portraits that are too precious to be seen alone in the world.

The thought of her face being known by everyone who didn't know her made him feel sick.

There are so many crazy people in the world.

They might do something bizarre with this picture.

'Hmm.'

With hesitation, he placed the portrait in an envelope and tucked it deep into a drawer. The plan for a wanted flyer was abandoned.

"Your Majesty, Count Limazov requests an audience."

"Come in."

Gale entered, his expression resolute. He bowed respectfully before speaking.

"Your Majesty, I present to you a detailed report. I regret to inform you that I have failed in my duty. Count Taut, who infiltrated the castle, has taken his own life, and we have been unable to secure further evidence."