Chapter 47

"... Me?"

"..."

"I just... I wanted to get to know you better, Lady Ante..."

Eva saw Frea's disappointed expression and knew she couldn't miss this important opportunity.

"First, let me apologize. I asked someone to do a background check on you, Lady Ante."

Frea's eyes filled with questions.

"I was impressed at the tea party hosted by the Crown Princess. You seemed like an extraordinary person."

Frea smiled bitterly.

She hadn't expected her behavior to catch Eva's interest.

"I heard you were once a commoner. That's why I wanted to befriend you, Lady Ante."

"...What?"

"You took your destiny into your own hands, which I find admirable because I couldn't do that."

Though she didn't know all the details, Frea sensed Eva's sincerity.

She had a soft spot for people who were honest about their feelings because she could see that trait in herself.

'She's so much like the princess.'

Princess Emily was always honest with her feelings, too.

"When I think about it, I was acting one-sided. I'm sorry for making you uncomfortable."

"No, I'm sorry too, for doubting your good intentions."

The two sat across from each other on the couch and chatted for a while.

Leaving the room, Eva said.

"Do you mind if I invite you home after the banquet?"

"I'd be happy to."

The two looked at each other and smiled.

The distance between them seemed to have diminished.

They went downstairs to the first-floor hall, and to their relief, the Count had not returned.

***

"Chamberlain. His Majesty wishes to see you."

Brenner immediately set aside the papers he was studying and rose from his seat.

He entered the Emperor's office to find the Emperor staring intently at a painting on the wall.

Brenner knew the Emperor was obsessed with the painting.

The Emperor liked it so much that he had hired the two unknown artists who created it as his court painters.

Brenner sneaked a glance at the painting.

The woman depicted was real.

It was incredible to think that the subject of the painting actually existed.

He understood the Emperor's fondness for it.

If he couldn't see her in person, a painting would suffice.

"Prepare the dish so it can be served immediately tonight."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Brenner had already anticipated the reason for his summons.

Counting the days, he knew today was the day.

Who was the woman in the painting?

How did she manage to enter and leave the Emperor's bedchamber unnoticed?