Chapter 38

Deborah, the Master of the Blue Light, safely guided the Ost students to the capital of the Ost Kingdom.

Since the arrival of the first students from the Old World twelve years ago, there has been a steady influx of students from the New World setting foot on its soil.

In total, students from nine different countries have been sent.

Initially, there was great interest from the Old World powers, but their enthusiasm waned over time due to the lack of immediate results.

As a result, in recent years, only Ost and Lehen have been sending students.

This time, Deborah escorted eight graduates from Ost out of a total of forty.

The eight graduates from Lehen were similarly escorted to the capital of Lehen by another tower master.

This marked the end of special treatment; the remaining graduates were simply escorted out of the forest in groups.

Ost and Lehen, being the primary senders of international students, contributed significantly to the local economy of Rasil through student expenditures on living expenses and tuition fees.

The free city of Rasil flourished as a result.

Mages in Rasil also engaged in commerce, selling their goods to empires and duchies.

The principle was simple: special customers received special treatment.

Deborah handed the students over to Ost's officials and moved on to other matters.

Following the contact between New World mages and the Old World, permanent branches, or "shelters," were established throughout the Old World disguised as shops.

Their purpose was to track down warlocks and gather intelligence.

Since Deborah had traveled all the way to Ost's capital, she decided to stop by one of these shelters.

She sensed someone following her. Initially cautious, she confirmed through her magic that it was a young woman.

Stepping out of the busy street, Deborah turned around and asked,

"Is there something I can do for you?"

Startled, the young woman bowed her head several times, apologizing.

"I thought I knew you, I'm sorry."

Deborah watched her hurry away, sensing that the woman had something on her mind.

Entering an antique shop tucked away in a secluded alley, Deborah presented her credentials to the employee who then led her to a hidden room in the back.

The employee, being from Ost, did not recognize Deborah.

There were few mages in the Old World, and those in the shelter were mostly hired locals who knew the place only as a liaison office for nobles or merchants.

Deborah retrieved a few curled letters from the shelf.

Her eyes caught the magical markings.

This was new and important.

To read them, she had to break the magically locked code.

For her, of course, it was as easy as single-digit addition.

Deborah's expression changed from time to time as she read.

The Chief had finally caught on.

'She'll be attending a banquet at the royal castle in Ost?'