Sisters ReUnited

I hum along to the country music playing softly from the speakers, the rhythm of the tune mirroring the swish of my rag across the polished wood counter. The sun is already high in the sky, casting long shadows through the bar and warming the worn leather booths and chipped paint on the walls. The noon breeze creeps in, making for a chilly gush of air whenever the door opens and closes.

It's a Tuesday, meaning the bar is quiet, a peaceful lull before our usual afternoon rush of regulars and the occasional tourist. Bree slides a beer to an older man and his friend on the other side of the bar before making her way next to me.

"I figured that those guys being here before we opened meant they'd leave before noon," I grumbled, my voice barely a whisper over the low hum of the empty bar.

Bree, my manager and current guardian, aka, queen of cocktails and sarcasm, leaned against the bar, her eyes flickering to the two men nursing their beers.

They were regulars, the kind who seemed to think the bar was their personal living room, complete with an extended nap time in the early afternoon.

"Oh honey, you know how it is with the early bird specials," she drawled, her voice dripping with mock sympathy. "They're just getting their day started. Gotta catch those worms, you know?"

I snorted, unable to suppress a chuckle. "I'd rather catch a nap, honestly. This place is quieter than a library on a Sunday."

"Well, you can't have everything," Bree quipped, her eyes sparkling with amusement. "Unless you're talking about a bottomless mimosa. Then, my friend, you're in for a treat."

I let out a sigh, leaning against the bar and mimicking her pose. "Maybe I'll just order one for myself. Then again, maybe I'll just order a whole bottle of wine and hope these guys finally decide to leave."

Bree chuckled. "They're loyal regulars. They like to get their fix before the chaos ensues."

"Chaos?" I raised an eyebrow. "It's Tuesday."

"Ah, but don't underestimate the power of a weekday bender," Bree replied with a wink. "Besides, it gives us something to do."

"'Says the boss who told me I'm in charge of the bar today." I retorted.

Bree shrugged. "I'm a woman of many talents. And besides, I'm training you to be the next superstar bartender."

"I already know how to do that," I said, polishing a glass. "Besides, I'm more of a behind-the-scenes kind of girl."

"Nonsense," Bree said firmly. "You've got spunk. And some magic," She winks. "And a good eye for a drunk in need of a cut-off."

"Thanks?" I said, unsure how to take that.

"Now, go charm those regulars," Bree said. "Get them their second round and make sure they're not planning on camping out all afternoon."

I let out an annoyed breath and turned to approach the men. "Gentlemen, can I tempt you with another beer?" I asked, my voice as friendly as possible.

The older man smiled. "Why, thank you, dear. We'll take two."

"And make it quick," his friend added. "We've got important matters to attend to."

"Important matters?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

The man chuckled. "We're betting on the horses. Don't tell anyone, but we have a sure thing."

"Oh, is that right?" I said, intrigued. "Well, I won't tell a soul."

"Cheers to that," the man said, raising his glass.