Pre War Part 10

The next chapter is when the girls finally go to Toccoa and the rest of the boys get introduced. 

***

Pre-War part 10

June- August 1942

Columbia, Georgia

Dick Winters rarely left Fort Benning on weekend passes, like Lewis and the others who went out on most passes to Columbia. A lot of the time Olivia Stewart, the now head nurse, went with them, mostly to keep them in line.

And them being Lewis Nixon, the man who occupied his mind more and more of his mind, he didn't quite understand why he was feeling this pull to this man but he was and he figured he might as well go with them this time around so Olivia could enjoy her promotion without having to babysit Lewis or the others.

"Holy crow.' Olivia's voice shook him out of his thoughts, she had walked up behind him and offered him a smile, "Is Dick Winters actually joining us for a night out?"

"I figured that you needed a night off of wrangling Nix to enjoy yourself and your promotion." He returned, his eyes crinkling at the corners when her face lit up. She had tried to play it off the night before he and Lewis caught up to her after dinner like it was nothing but it was something big for her. Especially after she lost her brothers, and had to meet South Carolina's district attorney about her mother's case. A meeting he and Lewis had the pleasure of sitting in on.

"You have no idea." she admitted softly, "Amber is driving me up the wall too, she hates that I got the promotion and she didn't. And if anything else happens. We get the ax and are out of the program." He nodded his head, he and Lewis had been there and heard it, and at first, it didn't stop the others who missed Olivia breaking Amber's nose from trying to provoke another fight between them.

Dick and Lewis had been able to break up a lot of the time; it had gotten easier when Hill had dropped out after failing the map reading tests, allowing Olivia to be in the three-man barracks. At first, it had made Dick wildly uncomfortable but he understood.

"Olivia, how did you get Dick out of his hiding place?" One of the other men asked as he and his buddy passed, they were all heading towards the same place, a rickety bus stop but like always Olivia waited for Lewis to come out of the barracks.

"Darlin', I have my ways." She returned, offering a teasing smile.

'Oh, we have heard of your ways sweetheart."

"What ways would that be?" Lewis asked joining the two. Over the short 10 weeks they had been there, Lewis had gotten a reputation of being Olivia's fiercest protector and the other men learned not to mess with her. Dick was steps behind him.

"She puts out on top of her family name. And that's how she gets ahead.'

"Pardon me?" "Repeat that?" Both Dick and Lewis questioned, while the woman in question grabbed a hold of Lewis's arm to keep him by her. Dick always seemed to keep this cool the best so she didn't have to worry about him like she did with Lewis.

"Where did you hear that?" When the man didn't answer, Lewis took steps toward him threateningly only to be stopped by both Olivia and Dick. "Let me guess, Amber Scott said something," Olivia commented.

Adam, the man, nodded his head causing her to scoff and raise her eyes to the sky as if she was trying to gather strength not to go back and get into it with Amber.

"That is such bullshit," Lewis complained as Dick shook his head and muttered something about language under his breath. "If anything, she is the one that is sleeping around."