Currahee part 1

August 1942

Toccoa, Georgia

"Hey! Bobby!" Lewis called, seeing Olivia's twin brother and Bill Guarenre going towards one of the newly built barracks. The older Stewart twin turned around and offered Lewis a smile. "

'Ey Nix! How is Liv?" Bobby asked, he had figured that his sister wrote more to Lewis about things than him. She didn't want to worry him. She worried enough about everyone for him.

"She was stressed when we left Benning, Amber was causing a lot of problems for her. She only slept maybe one or two full nights of sleep since we found out about James' death. Had nightmares, she moved into the barracks with me and Dick." He returned shaking Bobby's extended hand, ignoring Bill for the most part, Olivia had told him about what happened the night after he left to go home for New Year's.

The older twin nodded his head, he had heard all about it from Olivia and how she broke Amber's nose. He had been so proud and disappointed all in a messed up instant. He knew that Olivia had it in her to do something like that but she just never did anything. Maybe it was his and their older brothers' fault because they were always there to defend her.

'She told me about Amber, I only have ever heard that much hatred from her for one other person.'

"Kathrine." Lewis filled in with a laugh, "She told me all about the visit that your grandfather made her do."

"There was a visit?" Bill asked furious, that he hadn't been let in on it.

'Yeah, Katherine's father, that mean old bastard, showed up at the house and since Olivia is too sweet to say no to her elders, she went to see Katherine at the prison. The long and short of it was that she hated that our father agreed to let her join and that Katherine hoped she died."

"Jesus," Bill grumbled pulling a smoke out of his pack, he didn't know anyone who hated their own flesh and blood like Katherine McHale did and his heart went out to Olivia. He should write to her again to check on her, "Is Liv still in Meade?"

"Not sure," The intelligence officer answered, there had been rumors that the girls were going to start going into the active war zones and some were going to be attached to certain units and a lot of the rumors were the nurses were from Meade.

"The last letter I got from her was saying that she was in charge of like 20 nurses and they were speeding things up. The boys in the Pacific are getting hit hard. They are talking about sending the girls into active war zones."

There was a violent look that passed in Bobby's blue eyes. One of the older Stewart brothers, Daniel, if Lewis remembered correctly, was in the Pacific with the Marines and they hadn't heard from him since just after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

There was no love lost between Daniel and the twins, he was more of Mama's boy and favored Katherine than their father and stepmother like the rest of the kids. The last time they had all been together, he had said some extremely cruel things to both Olivia, Marla, and their sisters in-laws, including Edward's pregnant wife. Edward, who had the patience of a saint, lost his temper and got into a physical fight with him.

Lewis had been sure if he had access to a pistol or rifle, Daniel would have been dead.

"Lieutenant Nixon," Herbert Sobel's nasally voice came from down the gravel pathway, "I need you to go meet the next bus that comes in."

Rolling his eyes, the Yale man turned to look at him, they had only been there for a few days and already Sobel was pushing a lot of his responsibilities like this off.