Chapter 5

At Nevermore, Friday is talking with Enid, Wednesday and Emily.

"I have to get back to the woods, but Weems has been watching me like a vulture circling a carcass." said Friday.

"She's got me watched, too. I can't go anywhere. Besides I've got more writing to do." said Wednesday.

"And you want me to cover so that you can return to the scene of a crime that didn't happen?" Enid asked.

"I have beekeeping club this afternoon. I need you as decoy." Friday said.

"When did you go over to the beekeeping club?" Emily asked.

"After trying to talk to Rowan." said Friday.

"Sorry. Two strikes. I'm busy and bees totally creep me out. Why don't you ask Thing? Wait, you can't because he's mad at you." said Enid.

"Why's he mad? He's the one who screwed up." said Friday confused.

"All I know is that we spent an hour giving each other manis, and he really opened up. He feels like you don't respect him as a person." said Enid.

Friday frowned.

"Technically, he's only a hand." Friday comments.

"Friday! He's your family. And he would do anything for you. Go apologize and I'll reconsider helping you." said Enid.

Friday looked at Emily who shrugged.

"Fine." Friday huffed.

Friday walked into her dorm, but Thing was in Enid and Wednesday's instead.

"I snapped at you. I'll check my tone in the future. Now chop-chop, before all our leads turn cold." Friday said, she turned around but Thing didn't move.

Friday turned around.

"What is it that you want? Hand cream? Nail buffer? New cuticle scissors? Consider it done." said Friday, Thing closed the magazine, Friday walked over and sat down.

"I know I'm stubborn, single-minded and obsessive. But those are all traits of serial killers. Yes. And great writers. What's your point? I have nothing to get off my chest, and I am not submitting to your emotional blackmail." said Friday.

Thing kept tapping.

"Fine. (Friday takes out the picture) When Rowan showed me this, it confirmed my greatest fear. That I'm going to be responsible for something terrible. Not good terrible, like Ivan. Bad terrible. And I can't let that happen. That's why I need to find out the truth. Breathe a word of this to anyone and I will end you." Friday said.

Enid and Emily are in protective bee suits.

"If Weems comes sniffing around, keep your distance, look grim, and don't say a word." Friday said to the two girls.

"Payback is going to be a bitch." said Enid.

Emily smiled, she loved bees, it was the only thing in common she had with her stepmother, Astrid Rogue, who Emily and Xavier despised.

"I'd expect nothing less." Friday said.

Friday turned to Eugene.

"Blab and I will squeeze you like a honeycomb." said Friday.

"Snitches get stung. It's hive code. Besides, I should be thanking you. This is the most girls I've ever had in the shed. Other than bees." said Eugene.

"Shocking." said Friday sarcastically.

"I've always had a thing for werewolf chicks. And Emily's a good friend." said Eugene.