Chapter 6

Friday is standing at the school with Wednesday, outside when Enid shows up.

"We're all set." Enid said.

"Good. Thing's in position." said Friday.

"Wanna tell me what you two were up to?" Enid asked.

"And spoil the surprise?" Friday replied.

"Speaking of surprises, your costume's in the tent." said Enid.

Friday turned her head so fast, Wednesday could've sworn her sister would get whiplash.

"Costume?" Friday asked.

The three girls head to the tent, Friday walks out in a black skin tight costume.

"OMG, you look purr-fect! Only thing, where are your whiskers and ears?" Enid asked.

"Ask again, and you'll be down to eight lives." said Friday.

"I can't believe you agreed to this." said Wednesday.

"It's only to take Bianca down, I'm not participating next year. If we ever come back." said Friday.

The people participating get into their boats, Enid glances at Ajax.

"Focus." said Friday.

Bianca turns to her.

"What do we have here? The runt of the litter." said Bianca.

Friday looked at Bianca blankly.

"For the record, I don't believe I'm better than everyone else. Just that I'm better than you." Friday said, Bianca looked shocked.

Weems stands up.

"I want to welcome you all to the Edgar Allan Poe Cup. This is one of Nevermore's proudest annual traditions, dating back 125 years. Each team must row across to Raven Island, pull a flag from Crackstone's Crypt, and hustle back without sinking or being sunk. First team to cross the finish line with their flag wins the cup and bragging rights for a year, as well as some special privileges. Let the Poe Cup begin!" Weems pointed the started pistol in the air and fired.

The students started rowing, and so began the sabotage. Friday heads to grab the flag from the crypt but as she touches it she sees a vision.

"You are the key." a girl said, she looked exactly like Friday and the girl beside her looked just like Wednesday.

Friday wakes up from her vision.

"Taking a catnap?" Bianca asked.

Friday raced to her boat.

"Come on! Hurry up, we have to go." said Enid.

"What's going on?" Xavier asked when he saw the boat filling with water.

"See ya jokers." Enid taunted.

"Cheaters!" Xavier yelled.

"I just asked myself, "WWFD?" What Would Friday Do?" said Enid as she was rowing.

"I'm mildly impressed." said Friday dryly.

Back on the mainland, Emily and Wednesday are sitting together with Emily still recovering from her allergic reaction.

"The final two teams are the Gold Bugs..." said Weems as she looked through her binoculars, students cheer.

"and the Black Cats." said Weems.

Emily blinked in surprised, Ophelia Hall hadn't been in the final since after Wednesday's mother, Weems and Francoise Sylvanne all graduated, Emily knew of Francoise Sylvanne because her father went to Nevermore at the same time, she also knew Morticia, Gomez and Weems were all close friends with Francoise, but Emily's father never did know what happened to her or what her outcast ability was.

Emily was snapped out of her thoughts by Enid screaming with joy, Emily smirked as she watched Bianca and crew glare daggers at the Black Cats.

"Yeah, we did it. OMG, Friday, we did it! This is the greatest moment of my entire life. Admit it, you kinda got into the whole school spirit thing." said Enid.

Friday smirked and turned to Bianca.

"You didn't tell me it was a dark, vengeful spirit." said Friday.

The whole school is in the quad, with the Black Cats standing on stage with Weems and Friday glaring, she didn't like the attention.

"The first Poe Cup took place in 1897 as a way to not only honor Nevermore's most famous alumni, but to celebrate those values that all outcasts share. Community, perseverance, and determination. And we certainly saw those values on display today." Weems said, she handed Enid the trophy.

"Whoo!" Enid yelled with happiness, Emily just smirked at her twins annoyance.

"Congratulations to Ophelia Hall! As a former resident, I will be happy to see the cup back on the mantle after all these years." said Weems.

Later, Friday and Wednesday are hiding, Enid and Emily come to find them both.

"What are you doing down here?" Emily asked the twins.

"Hiding." Friday answered.

"Not wanting to be in a crowd." said Wednesday.

Emily nodded her head at Wednesday's reason and then turned to Friday.

"What's your excuse?" Emily asked.

"People keep randomly smiling at me, it's unsettling." said Friday.

Emily and Enid lead the twins into the quad.

"It's called having your moment. You took down Bianca Barclay. Try to enjoy it. Enid, the girls and I wanna know if you two wanna hang out later." said Emily.

The twins looked at each other.

"Oh, come on, it won't kill you." said Emily.

"We'll think about it." said Wednesday.

"Yes!" said Emily, she and Enid went over to join the other girls at their table.

Weems shows up behind the twins.

"It's good to see you two fitting in. Just like your mother." she said.

"Our mother, Friday and I are two different people/species/everything." said Wednesday.

"The last time Ophelia Hall won the Poe Cup, your mother captained the team. I was her co-pilot. Maybe you three are more alike than you think." said Weems.

The twins frowned thoughtfully.

Later, Enid is sleeping while hugging the Poe Cup, Emily had spoken to Miss Thornhill and Weems and the two women agreed the four girls can stay in Enid and Wednesday dorm room for the night, Emily was on a blow up mattress and the twins said they'd share Wednesday's bed.

Friday was reading some more pages of Wednesday's story while she continued to write.

"Nevermore continues to be an enigma. A place where the questions far outweigh the answers. But sometimes... the answer is staring you right in the face." said Friday.

Friday suddenly sat up.

"Come with me?" Friday asked.

"Where?" Wednesday replied.

"Trust me." said Friday.

The twins left, Friday bought a notebook and a pen.

"Don't worry, Edgar Allan. I see your sanctimonious smirk. But I will get the last laugh. Your penchant for riddles was legendary. And this might be your cleverest yet. Because it's not a single riddle. Rather, each line is its own separate one. "The opposite of moon." Sun. "A world between ours." Nether. "Two months before June." April. "A self-seeding flower." Pansy. "One more than one." Two. "Its leaves weep to the ground." Willow. "It melts in the sun." Ice. "Its beginning and end never found." Circle. "Every rule has one." Exception. "The answer will give a sharp cracking sound."" said Friday, she handed the notepad to Wednesday who snapped her fingers twice.

The twins walked down stairs.

"Secret societies. Hidden libraries. My mother staring at me and Wednesday in a judgmental way. These are all things I've come to expect. But the minute I inch towards the truth... (A bag each is placed over the twins heads) Luckily, I'm not afraid of the dark." said Friday.