xvii. returned to the sea

˗ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ˗
 If you are bold enough, that is.

word count : 4696

word count : 4696

DEATH HAD TAKEN THE LIVES OF TWO. Laena Velaryon and Harwin Strong. Although, for the sons and daughter of Rhaenyra and Laenor Velaryon, they could only grieve one of those lives. Publicly, that is. Jacaerys and Lucerys would shed their tears in private, more so the latter, with the former grieving a father rather than the protective male figure Lucerys saw Harwin as. All the while, Valaena would comfort them both, holding her brothers in her arms the moment the news broke.

Ser Harwin, taken by a fire in Harrenhall. Laena Velaryon, taken by the flames of her dragon, Vhagar - her dying wish. She had been in childbirth, Valaena had overheard. All the more reason Valaena feared the day she would have to go through it. Still, such a concern remained at the back of her mind, too focused even at her young age on trying to be strong for her family.

As Valaena sat at breakfast the morning before they would depart to High Tide for Laena's funeral, she could feel the grief in the room as if it were a physical presence. A dark, imposing figure that hung over their shoulders, refusing to leave them as they ate in silence.

Valaena found it difficult to swallow her food, occasionally glancing up from her food to sneak glances at her family. Lucerys had a small pout on his lips, Rhaenyra sat beside him encouraging him every so often to eat more of his food. Jacaerys sat in total silence, dried tear streaks on his cheeks as he half-heartedly ate his food, eyes misty and unfocused. As for Laenor, it was a surprise he had even turned up to breakfast at all. He had lost a sister. Valaena couldn't pretend she didn't hear his cries of agony when the news had been broken to him, and although she had offered her comfort, he had promptly asked her to leave. She couldn't blame him - she knew he only saw Laena when he looked at his daughter. Even at the breakfast table, sat across from Valaena, Laenor kept his eyes down.

The rest of the day was just as it started - quiet. Valaena spent most of it in her chambers, at some point venturing outside to see Ivax. It was late in the evening when she decided to do so, shortly after a dinner - another quiet dinner. Ivax was waiting for her on the white sand shores, the White Terror lounging with her side against the cliff face. The she-dragon did perk up upon Valaena's arrival, lifting her head as her rider approached.

   "Rytsas, Ivax." (Hello, Ivax). Raising a hand, Valaena ran her hand along Ivax's foot, as it was one of the only parts of the dragon she could reach when on the ground.

Ivax had settled into Dragonstone quickly, despite the other dragons not taking kindly to her. After all, Ivax tended to take most of the food - that being any available meat and fish, and some dragon eggs. She had settled and found a lair to inhabit within Dragonmont, finding comfort in the smoky caverns of the volcanic area. And just like before, Ivax never really warmed towards other dragons or people, other than Arrax. They had only crossed paths once, but Ivax seemed unbothered by Lucerys or his dragon, and showed no hostility.