i. siren of the south

˗ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄 ˗
You have a curiosity for strange things.

word count : 2795

𝐃𝐑𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝟏𝟑𝟏𝐀𝐂

𝐃𝐑𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝟏𝟑𝟏𝐀𝐂

IT HAD BEEN FIVE YEARS since Corlys Velaryon had left Driftmark. Grieving over the loss of his two children, believing himself to be responsible for where they had ended up, Corlys had left his home only months after to fight in the Stepstones. It had also been five years since Valaena Velaryon had become a ward to her grandmother in Driftmark, now a girl of ten and four and well settled into the Seat of the Sea.

As per her promise, Valaena had been in constant correspondence with her two brothers. Sometimes Jacaerys would write parts of his letters in Valyrian, just to show how much he had improved since she had left. He spoke of the books he had read - books of politics and history. Valaena couldn't say she had been doing the same, despite Rhaenys often reminding her to. As heir to the Iron Throne, Valaena knew much of history but little of politics. While she was only fourteen and had a long while before she would sit the throne, she was still behind on her studies concerning politics. She was just glad she wasn't amongst the insufferable royal court in King's Landing. If she was, she imagined there would already be talk of how unfit she was to be an heir.

Jacaerys and Lucerys were not the only people Valaena kept contact with outside of Driftmark. Letters had been constantly exchanged between Valaena and Daeron. He spoke of his days in Oldtown, and how he had been meaning to visit her but either had no time or was not able to get permission to do so. He also spoke of his hobbies, such as playing the lute. Valaena had never picked up an instrument in her life nor did she have much interest in them, but wished to hear Daeron play. From what he has said, he had become quite the expert.

It had been five years since Valaena had seen Daeron. To say that she missed him would be an understatement.

On the other hand, Valaena had not heard from Aemond or Aegon. Though, there was gossip amongst the court at Driftmark that Aegon had become even more of a drunk, often finding himself in the streets of silk more often than not. He had also married his sister, Helaena, two years ago. Their twins, Jaehaerys and Jaehaera, were born in 130AC. Valaena wondered if the prince had gotten over his love for her, seeing as he preoccupied his time with whores and wine. She had never written to him, and one letter that she had drafted ended up a scrunched ball of parchment singed to ash in her fireplace.

Valaena had also never written to Aemond. They hadn't parted on the best of terms, and she had no idea what to say to him. She figured he felt the same way.

As for Valaena herself, she had grown to be bolder and more rebellious than she had been as a child. She often caused trouble with Baela, who had become a close confidant and friend alongside her handmaiden Leria, the three of them practically inseparable. Baela was quick to anger and was known to be deliberately provocative at times, and that mixed with Valaena's lack of respect for rules and her unforgiving nature was a sure recipe for disaster.