xviii. a fair exchange

˗ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ˗
I just wanted to be strong, like you.

word count : 2804

VALAENA AND AEMOND soon rejoined the wake, Aemond with a newfound confidence he had previously lacked. He could hardly wipe the smile off his face as he returned to his family, with the promise to Valaena that he would see her before they all departed from Driftmark upon the morrow.

As for Valaena, her giddiness lasted for little to no time at all, her eyes falling upon her mother. More so, watching as her mother openly eyed the man she knew to be Daemon Targaryen. The Rogue Prince. Valaena had not spoken a word to him, but with the way he stared so boldly at her mother at his wife's wake made her dislike him greatly. She was sure her disdain was clear in her face, Rhaenyra noticing her daughter's hardened gaze, reddening in the face as she realised she had been caught staring at her uncle. Daemon followed Rhaenyra's gaze, locking eyes with Valaena.

It seemed Valaena's stare did nothing to faze the prince, to no surprise, as he only tilted his head in curiosity. Rolling her eyes, Valaena broke the eye contact and turned away. All while father mourns his sister - Has Laena's sarcophagus even hit the bottom of the sea yet? Valaena thought with disapproval. She knew the love between Rhaenyra and Laenor was not romantic, but even a platonic love would allow one to show more respect than her mother had.

Speaking of her father - Valaena watched Laenor still stood in the sea, Qarl Correy slowly but surely coaxing him out of the water.

    "Valaena." She hadn't noticed her mother making way over, now standing before Valaena. The young princess spared her mother a quick glance, only nodding in response. "It is getting late - find your brothers, and tell them to go to their chambers, please."

Biting her tongue, wishing to tell her mother to do so herself instead of eyeing Prince Daemon, Valaena nodded once again - wordlessly, and did as she was told.

It seemed everyone had the same idea - people trickling out to depart until only a few people stood at the wake, saying their final words before leaving for bed. Valaena looked out to the sea once more, watching as Laenor and Qarl Correy sat on the shore.