ii. returning home

˗ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎 ˗
I did not find another.

word count: 4011

𝐃𝐑𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐊 / 𝐃𝐑𝐀𝐆𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐍𝐄 𝟏𝟑𝟏𝐀𝐂

IT WAS DECIDED THAT the wedding would happen in Dragonstone, two moons after Valaena's fifteenth namesday. Rhaenyra had been involved in the discussions and preparations, with Rhaenys travelling to Dragonstone. At first, Rhaenyra didn't approve of the marriage - she still didn't. But with Valaena willing to marry the man, something that was a shock to begin with, she had allowed the marriage to go forward.

Valaena and Rhaenyra hadn't spoken since Rhaenyra had returned to Dragonstone with her new husband. The queen-to-be had written to Valaena, but never received a response. Did Valaena realise her behaviour was somewhat petty? Yes. But there was still that lingering suspicion that Rhaenyra and Daemon had a hand in Laenor's murder. Any time she put a quill to paper, considering responding to Rhaenyra's letters, she would remember her suspicions.

Valaena wondered what it would be like seeing them all again. The Velaryon court would be travelling to Dragonstone, as it was one moon after her fifteenth namesday and one moon before her wedding day. It was decided that it was better for her to stay in Dragonstone for a month before the big day, but Valaena knew it would feel odd. She hadn't been there in five years. She was certain she would feel out of place within the new dynamic - Rhaenyra and Daemon, along with their child Aegon. Aegon would be two years of age, Valaena knew that much. She also knew that Rhaenyra was with child again - Valaena may not respond to her mother's letters, but she did read them occasionally.

   "Who will be in attendance?" Valaena asked during breakfast the morning of their departure to Dragonstone, looking between her grandmother and her betrothed. "At the wedding."

   "The entire family, I believe. Excluding Prince Daeron, and King Viserys - he appears too ill to travel," Vaemond answered, sat beside his two sons, Daemion and Daeron.

Vaemond intentionally omitted the knowledge he had that Aegon was inconsolable after the news of Valaena's betrothal, and was advised not to attend the wedding, but had insisted regardless. Gods knows what state he would be arriving in. He had half the mind to refuse the prince entry, but Vaemond knew he needed Alicent in his favour if the Velaryon marriage was to go awry. Or more so, when the marriage would go awry.

Valaena hid her disappointment at Daeron not being in attendance. But Baela could tell. She held the girl's hand under her table. To not have her childhood best friend at her wedding, despite their years apart, was difficult news to hear.