𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚅𝙸𝙸𝙸

"My name is y/n."

You blurt the words out before you're able to stop yourself, your hands signing in unison. The two apes stare at you with wide eyes and open mouths, Raka even drops the bags he was holding.

~

You take a large gulp of water from the gourd Noa gave you, trying to stall having to explain yourself to them. This feels like when you accidentally let one of your mothers horses free because you wanted to ride it yourself and grabbed onto its hair, trying to pull your little legs up and accidentally kicking its belly, making it run off. Your mothers suspicious look of disapproval at the horse missing from its post mirroring the looks of the two primates in front of you.

"You, can speak?" Raka breaks the silence, looking at you inquisitively, drastically contradicting the look of the other ape, who looked like any trust you had built up had now been shattered.

"Yes," You respond quietly, avoiding the harsh stare of the dark furred ape. "but i prefer to sign." You say, your hands moving in sync with your words. "How do you know sign?" Noa finally speaks, his glare not ceasing as he questions you.

"My mother was deaf." You answer him, hoping he can see the honesty in your eyes. At his confused look you explain further. "It means she couldn't hear anything." You can practically see the gears turning in his head as he processes your words. "And where is, your mother now?" Raka asks gently, you look down, the thought of her making your eyes water as you try not to cry.

"She's gone...the masked apes, killed her." You choke out, your voice breaking on the last two words. Raka sighs, glancing at Noa who's glare softens just a fraction. "Well, the important thing now, is that we have each other." Raka tries to comfort you, gesturing between the three of you.

You look up at him numbly, his words doing little to ease your grief. There's an awkward beat of silence before Raka clears his throat and stands up. "Let us, have a fire. We have much to discuss." He says as his large form walks away.

You try not to notice the way Noa never took his eyes off your face, you wonder if he could feel the guilt radiating off of you. He studies you intently, glancing down at the beige scarf around your neck as you catch him staring.

You look down at the scarf and sigh, slipping it over your head and holding it out to him. "I'm sorry, for stealing from you. I didn't want to, i was just cold. I'm sorry..." You glance at the trees around you, avoiding eye contact as his bright sea green eyes bore into yours.

"Keep it." He grumbles out so quietly you almost don't hear him, you gawk up at him with wide eyes as he stares at the ground, his hands fidgeting with a rope from his staff.

"Thank you." You squeak out, inwardly cursing yourself at how timid you sound as you slip the scarf back around your neck, the soft fabric bringing you some comfort.

~

"Mom, get up, please!" You plead as you grasp onto your mothers arms tightly, blood pouring out seemingly endlessly from a hole in her chest. "Please get up, we have to go!" Your hands shakily sign as you whisper yell at her.

"Go, y/n, please. You have to go without me. Be a strong girl for me." She signs to you weakly, her face growing more gray by the second. "I can't do this without you..." You choke out as you try to hold back your sobs.

Your mother reaches for the paper you were still clutching, you glance up, hearing the faint hoofbeats of the masked apes nearby as well as the light from their torches.