𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚇𝚇𝙸𝚅

Ever since what Soona said to you and Noa, this past week has been a bit, awkward. The four of you still take walks but when you and Noa are alone, it's just tense. You don't know what to say to him that won't overstep his boundaries or make him uncomfortable, so you haven't tried.

Meanwhile Noa has been going insane feeling like he can't talk to you. He's grown close to you, he's told you things that he hasn't even told Soona. This awkwardness with you has been eating him alive, and he's decided to just work up the courage to do something about it.

He watches as you sit with some other apes, grinding herbs into a bowl for the Elders. You look so content, so peaceful, he almost doesn't want to disturb you. You don't mind the work of mixing herbs, the other apes say it's tedious but to you the repetitiveness of it is calming. You steadily grind the rock into the crushed leaves, unaware of the ape who has his eyes on you.

Setting the bowl aside and signing your intentions to a couple of the older apes you walk into the woods in search of more herbs. You hum softly as you bend down and pluck handfuls of plants and other roots, blissfully enjoying the mundane task.

"Hello, echo." You spin around, to be faced with Roma and Zen, and you resist the urge to roll your eyes at them. "Playing in the dirt?" Roma says with a snicker. "I'm getting more herbs, for the healers." You say, trying to keep your voice steady as Zen walks around you and flicks a piece of your hair with her hand.

"They do not need, your help. You are not, needed here." Roma says, his teasing tone gone and now replaced with disgust. You look down sadly, knowing he's right. The apes have been doing fine without you, it's you who needs them. They took you in out of pity, like one would for a stray cat.

A low huff comes from your side and you turn to see Noa, who somehow always manages to show up in these situations. "Do you not, have somewhere to be?" He snaps at them as he glares at Roma and Zen, who returned back to her friends side.

Roma sneers at him and looks at you. "You are not, ape. Go back to your own kind." He grunts out nastily. Noa tenses and lets a low growl rumble through his chest, baring his fangs at the two apes. You put a hand on his arm, feeling him physically relax under your touch.

Roma scoffs and Zen tugs him away, smart enough to know not to challenge the strong ape. Once the two are out of sight Noa turns to you, his once scowling face now softened with worry. You look down at the ground, feeling embarrassed that he always has to stand up for you.

"y/n..." He whispers softly, looking like he wants to say something more but instead just shakes his head and takes a deep breath. "Come." He sighs out, gently guiding you along through the forest.

~

"Where are we going?" You ask him curiously, and Noa just nudges you along. You quickly recognize the stream you were at when you fell into the rocks. "Why are we here? The water is frozen over so we can't fish..." You look at him questioningly as he makes his way down the icy rocks. "We are not, fishing."

He extends a hand to you, and you grab it and let out a gasp as he pulls you closer, making you collide with his chest. "Trust me." He says huskily. You look at him confused before you feel him pull himself off the rock ledge and down into the crevice between the rocks, bringing you with him.

You let out a yelp as your body falls for a second, and then you feel him land on the ground, holding you tightly but carefully. You look up at Noa with wide eyes as you catch your breath. He sets you back on your feet, your legs wobbling a bit as you look at your surroundings, and realize this is the entrance to the cave you both found. Even though your sprained ankle had healed, an ache flows through your muscles as if reminiscing your previous fall.